The Origins Centre is located on the West campus of the University of the Witwatersrand in Braamfontein. It is easily accessible by car, bus, or taxi. The centre is just off the M1, a major highway connecting the north and south of the city.
The centre is located on the inner city ciruclar route, C3, of the Rea Vaya. Look out for the Rea Vaya bus stop signs in Jorissen or De Korte streets. This bus service also makes a convenient connection from Park Station in central Johannesburg, which is now served by the superfast Gautrain from Pretoria, the airport and the northern suburbs of Johannesburg.
When to visit
- Opening times: Monday to Saturday 10h00-17h00.
- Public holidays, 10h00-17h00, please call ahead to check opening times. Tel: 011 717 4700.
- Closed on Sundays.
- Please book online at webtickets.
Length of visit
The average museum experience takes between 90 minutes and 2 hours, but for the enthusiast, there is an unsurpassed wealth of additional multi-media material detailing Africa’s past.
Well-informed tour guides can be booked in advance, or enjoy a stroll around with the assistance of our wonderfully narrated audio-guides. Audio guides come with the price of admission and are available in six languages – isiZulu, SeSotho, English, Afrikaans, French, and German.
- Adults: R81
- Seniors & Wits Staff: R66
- University Students with Student Card: R40
- Children (under 12 with adult): R40
- Learners: R45
- Teachers (with school groups): R55
- Guide Fee (Max 10-25 Pax): R205
- Exclusive Guide (Min 1-9 Pax): R505
- Temporary Exhibition: R60 (FREE with main museum ticket)
- Lectures: R50
- Films: R50
Café Fino is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 16:00. However, there are several cafes in Braamfontein and on Wits Campus.
The Origins Centre is also a popular venue for exhibitions, book launches and lectures. Click here for more details.