DNA Ancestry Testing Experience
Our DNA can be used to trace our human ancestry.
Did you know?
Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is passed on from mothers to both her sons and daughters. However, only her daughters will transmit their mtDNA in successive generations. Both males and females can be tested for mtDNA to trace their maternal ancestry. Fathers pass on their Y chromosome to their sons only, who then pass on their Y chromosome to their sons, and so on.
- Saturday, 7 April 2018
- Saturday, 5 May 2018
- Saturday, 2 June 2018
- Saturday, 7 July 2018 - No session will be held.
- Saturday, 4 August 2018 - purchase your tickets on Webtickets
- Saturday, 1 September 2018 - purchase your tickets on Webtickets
- Saturday, 6 October 2018 - pirchase your tickets onWebticket
The DNA Ancestry Testing Experience takes 2 hours and includes:
- Presentation by Dr. Ian McKay on evolution.
- Presentation by Ms Rajeshree Mahabeer of the National Health Laboratory Service on genetic ancestry testing.
- DNA Testing of participants who want to be tested. At least 10 participants would be tested.
- A museum visit about the origins of man.
- Female DNA Ancestry Testing Kit and Briefing Session is R1 000
- Male DNA Ancestry Testing Kit and Briefing Session is R1 400
- Only Briefing Session and Museum visit is R200
Pre-bookings essential as attendance is limited to 60 persons.
Females are tested for mitochondrial DNA lineage only. (X Chromosome)
Males are tested for both Paternal and Mitochondrial DNA lineages. (X and Y Chromosomes)
A guide to decide on who in a family should be tested, if you are uncertain please call +27 (0) 11 489 9237 OR Click Here: DNA Ancestry Test - Who can Test?
Queries on DNA for individuals, can be directed to the NHLS (National Health Laboratory Service) at +27 (0) 11 489 9237.
The NHLS is open Monday – Friday by appointment only. Please be sure to call in advance to book as a live kit is prepared. The DNA results can take 08-14 weeks to be completed and can be mailed or picked up at the NHLS in Braamfontein.
For enquiries and additional information, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call +27 (0)11 717 4700.