The Wits COVID-19 Fund
Supporting Wits COVID-19 priorities
Set up to support the Wits Community during the time of COVID-19, the University's COVID-19 Fund supports specific Wits initiatives to alleviate human suffering and difficulties arising from COVID-19.
Amongst these are using Wits’ expertise for the greater good – such as through our extensive teaching and clinical services within the Wits health network of public and private training hospitals or other partners.
Our other priorities include:
- Providing smart devices to poor students to ensure all Wits students have equal access to Wits’ online learning platforms.
- Expanding COVID-19 testing services.
- Providing protective clothing for Wits staff and students exposed to a high viral load because they are working in hospitals and other health care situations is another priority.
- Providing start-up funding to design respirators that can be made in Africa.
Donations to the Fund
- Subject to the standard conditions, all donations by South African taxpayers to the Fund should qualify for tax exemption/ a Section 18A Tax Certificate.
- The US and UK Fundraising structures may in time set up specific channels that will enable tax-deductible donations in their jurisdictions.
Who is responsible for the stewardship and allocation of funds?
- The Vice-Chancellor and the Senior Executive Team will be responsible for the stewardship and allocation of all funds collected.
- Regular impact reports will be provided to all donors.
Please contact us if you would like more information
Click here to donate to the Wits COVID-19 Fund
Wits' COVID-19 news
The University is monitoring the global 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in real-time and is taking advice from our professors in the Faculty of Health Sciences and the National Institute for Communicable Diseases. Check our COVID-19 website for Wits News and links to credible COVID-19 sources.