MSc Mathematics Education (by coursework or dissertation)
This programme aims to provide participants with a firm grounding in both the key areas of academic literature relating to mathematics education nationally and internationally, and producing academic writing in the field. The coursework option consists of a series of taught courses focused on a combination of:
- Teaching and learning in mathematics education
- Issues relating to the teaching and learning of algebra
- Language and the learning of mathematics
- Issues in curriculum in mathematics education
- These courses are followed by a Research Design course that supports students in designing, conducting and writing up their research projects in the field.
An M Sc by dissertation involves a significantly more substantive research project without the support of the taught courses. It is thus suitable for students with significant prior experience of academic reading and writing and awareness of key literature in the field of mathematics education.
Entry to the M Sc Mathematics Education requires an Honours level qualification in Mathematics/Mathematics Education with a 65% course average and 70% on a research project in the field.
As in the Honours programme, M Ed students can pick up particular M Sc courses as part of their area of specialisation. For details about the M.Ed programme in Mathematics Education, please see M.Ed page.