|When:||Thursday, 20 June 2019 - Monday, 24 June 2019|
|Where:|| Parktown Education Campus
Wits School of Public Health
The Wits Paediatric Fund will host the 7th UpToSPAED Conference.
This popular annual conference helps to raise funds, which contribute to critical shortages not covered by hospital budgets e.g equipment, counselling, refurbishing clinic areas etc. for the three main paediatric teaching hospitals in Johannesburg namely, Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital and Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital.
The conference will boast of range of international and local speakers who will discuss:
- Next generation sequencing – to the exome and beyond (Dr Zané Lombard)
- The CRISPR twins – what's all the fuss about? (Ms Bonnie Venter)
- Dialysing small children – little guys, big trouble (Dr Cecil Levy)
- Gene therapy – for common single gene disorders (Professor Janet Poole)
- Ethical issues surrounding the treatment of non-SA citizens in state hospitals (Dr Harriet Etheredge)