This course was developed for Registered Nurses, Midwives and other Registered Related Health Practitioners in order to provide a high National Standard Qualification for Lactation Consultants in South Africa.
To provide a national competency course in Lactation Consultancy that is affordable, practical and accessible to all registered nurses and midwives as well as other registered health related practitioners.
In addition this course aims toÃÂÃÂ synergize with MDG Strategies to reduce Mother and Child mortality.
Topics covered in this course includes:
- Anatomy, physiology and endocrinology
- Maternal & Infant NutritionÃÂÃÂ Biochemistry incorporating the Integrated Management of childhood illness guidelines.ÃÂÃÂ
- Foetal & Infant Growth and Development Milestones
- Breastfeeding techniques and technology
- Maternal & Infant Pathology
- Maternal & Infant Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Maternal & Infant Immunology and Infectious Diseases implementing the latest HIV and ARV protocols from the department of health.
- Counselling Skills
- Evaluating and Interpreting Research Articles and the Role of the Lactation Consultant in South Africa.
- Ethos and legal issues related to Lactation Consultancy in South Africa.
- WHO/ESPGHAN/BFHI/IMCI Policies and their implementation in South Africa.
The following applies. Registered Nurses and Registered Related Health Practitioners.
Applicants meeting the below requirements are invited to apply:
- Registered Nurse with registration of SANC
- Registered Health Related Practitioner with relevant Health Professional registration
- Must have access to mothers with babies