Mental & Emotional Health Resources
- The South African Depression & Anxiety Group has a wide range of information on mental health.
- Helpguide has good quality international information and self-help tips on mental health.
- Zamo Mbele talks about depression
Stigma and mental health
- Sangu Dele on stigma and mental health for African men.
- Radio 702 discussion on spotting depression, and mental health stigma in SA.
- Zanele talks about her personal story of her father’s suicide.
A step-by-step guide for those who find social skills very difficult to understand.
Post-colonial Mental Health
Written by Wits lecturer, Professor Garth Stevens, this article looks at the impact of colonisation on mental health.
Resources on Campus
- Wits Food Programme - is available to all students as a service, and exists to meet the needs of students who experience food insecurity on campus. You can access the programme through the WCCO
- Gender Equity Office provides information on Gender-Based Harm (including sexual assault and rape)
Useful local organisations
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- FAMSA (Family and Marriage Association of South Africa)
- Foundation for Human Rights
- Narcotics Anonymous
- OUT (Health Services to the LGBTQI+ community)
- People Opposing Women Abuse
- SADAG (South African Depression and Anxiety Group
- SANCA (SA National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency)
- South African Federation for Mental Health