Mentoring at CCDU
Mentoring aims to:
- provide support and guidance to students through one-on-one or group interactive sessions;
- assist students with their transition and adjustment to University life;
- encourage students to engage with each other and therefore contribute to the creation of living and learning communities;
- enhance wellness; interpersonal relationships; peer learning and resilience;
- create a platform for students to know University systems and procedures as well as be referred to appropriate sources.
What is a Mentor? A mentor is a senior student (from second year of study and above) who has knowledge of campus resources, good academic results, is helpful, caring and willing to offer their time to support a junior student (mentee).
The benefits of being a Mentor
- You will become more aware of yourself and gain a sense of fulfilment in serving and helping others.acquire
- You will acquire mentoring skills which will enhance your leadership abilities and interpersonal interactions.
- You will improve your personal portfolio which will serve as a great marketing tool to prospective employers.
- You will make new friends and increase your networks which will provide you with a meaningful University experience.
How to initiate a Mentoring Programme
- Step 1: Advertise to your Faculty, Club or Society.
- Step 2: Check the number of students interested in mentoring.
- Step 3: Recruit potential mentors by formulating criteria for selection eg. good academics.
- Step4: Request CCDU to facilitate Mentoring Training (3 hours duration).
- Step 4: Match mentors to mentees.
- Step 5: Monitor programme via monthly group meetings.
- Step 6: Review the impact of implementing the mentoring programme annually.
What are the benefits of being mentored?
- Mentoring enhances student confidence and helps them adjust to University life.
- Mentoring provides one on one support and guidance to students.
- Mentoring assists students to clarify and prioritize their study goals.
- Mentoring empowers students to form new networks and create a meaningful, learning experience.