English as a Foreign Language
Our full-time English courses aim to develop your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills to the level of proficiency required for further academic studies or entry into the business environment. Learn to speak English fluently and to interact with confidence in all social contexts.
These courses run over seven weeks, with classes from 09h00 to 13h00, and an additional activities from 13h30 to 14h30. The cost of the course is R11 800.
- Course Fee
Students who successfully complete the course, having attended a minimum of 90% of the classes, are awarded a Wits Langugae School Certificate of Competence. Students are not assessed solely on the basis of an end-of-course test. Instead, assessment of the student’s progress in all skills is continuous and is based on written work, communicative ability and participation in class.
This course is aimed at international students from countries in which English is not an official language.
This is the ideal course for learners who believe that their spoken and/or written English will not meet the requirements of tertiary study or the workplace, as well as for those who simply want to be able to socialise with confidence in English-speaking environments. The course aims at improving reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in addition to providing a thorough grasp of English grammar, developing vocabulary and broadening your understanding of the language used in a range of formal and informal social contexts.
Wits Language School will also recommend host family accommodation, and advise you on visa applications and extensions as well as recommending agents for medical insurance cover.
The course is divided into six levels of English proficiency: Beginner, Elementary, Pre-intermediate, Intermediate, Upper intermediate and Advanced.
The following outcomes are focused on during all six courses:
- Improve the accuracy of your grammar and pronunciation, expand your vocabulary and develop your skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing, across a range of different contexts
- Improve aspects of English grammar, such as the correct use of tenses, pronouns and prepositions
- Improve reading skills - comprehension of written texts; reviews of books, clips from the Internet and magazine articles
- Improve writing skills - emails, formal and informal letters, essays, etc
- Improve listening skills - comprehension exercises based on audio material from CDs and DVDs
- Improve speaking skills - pair and group interaction; presentations
- Improve the use of English across a range of different social contexts, such as classrooms, tutorials and informal gatherings.
Our advanced course now incorporates an IELTS preparation course. The aim of this course is to help students achieve the IELTS Band score required for entrance into universities, while also developing the students' academic English proficiency.
Please ensure you meet the following requirements when applying for the course:
- There is no minimum admission requirement
- Literacy of your first language
- Ability to read and write in your first language
- 18 years or older
- Matric certificate or equivalent
- All applicants are required to do a written placement test and a short oral interview to assess their level of English proficiency before admission.
Many students come to Wits Language School to improve their English before heading to another university in South Africa or aboard, such as in Canada, America and the United Kingdom. This allows you to spend time immersed in an English-speaking university at a lower cost before heading to more expensive countries.
Some of our students are here for postgraduate studies at Wits University, and attend our full-time English courses at the same time as doing postgraduate course work.
It is also possible to work on your English proficiency for your job, and so market yourself as a more fluent English speaker when you return to your home country. This can improve your job opportunities and working environment, with the chance to travel and work in other English speaking countries.