The course fee includes:
- A pre-assessment test
- 140 hours of tuition in a small class (maximum of 16 students)
- An additional 20 hours of extra classes in the afternoons
- Course material
- Use of computer lab
- Course outing within Gauteng
- Access to some Wits University facilities
At Wits Language School, we want our English students to get the best possible deal. We regularly compare costs of EFL courses around the worls to make sure that we achieve this. You'll find that the courses in the major cities of the UK, US, Canada, Austrailia, New Zealand and other countries are generally more expensive than the English courses offered by Wits Language School.
We pride ourselves on offering the best value for money. Although we offer far more competitive prices, we work hard to ensure that we provide the best of everything- our teachers are all mother tongue speakers of English with formal teaching qualifications and several years of teaching experience behind them, and our course material is internationally recognised.
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at foreign language users of English who want to improve their passive and active knowledge in all areas of English. The course helps learners build the competence and cofidence they need to use English on a daily basis in all aspects of their lives.
This is the ideal course for learners who believe that their spoken and/or written English will not meet the requirements of tertiary study or the workplace, as well as for those who simply want to be able to socialise with confidence in English speaking environments. The course aims at improving reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. In addition to providing a thorough grasp of English grammar, developing vocabulary and broadening your understanding of the language used in a range of formal and informal social contexts.
Students who successfully complete the course, having attended a minimum of 90% of the classes, are awarded a Wits Langugae School Certificate of Competence. Students are not assessed solely on the basis of an end-of-course test. Instead, assessment of the student’s progress in all skills is continuous and is based on written work, communicative ability and participation in class.
- Improve the accuracy of your grammar and pronunciation, expand your vocabulary and develop your skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing, across a range of different contexts.
- Improve aspects of English grammar, such as the correct use of tenses, pronouns and prepositions
- Improve reading skills - comprehension of written texts, review of books, newspaper and magazine articles
- Improve writing skills - emails, formal and informal letters, essays etc
- Improve listening skills - comprehension exercises based on audio material from CD's and DVD's
- Improve speaking skills - pair and group interaction; presentations
- Improve the use of English across a range of different social contexts, such as classroom, tutorials, business meetings and informal gatherings
Although Wits Language School does not provide host family accommodation, we advise our full-time students on accommodation options. There are a number of English-speaking host families close to the school. Staying with a host family means that the student can become immersed in an English-speaking environment. The host families arrange letters for proof of residence - one of the requirments for Visa application. We can also refer you to guest houses, B&B's and short-term accommodation on campus.
We advise you on visa applications as well as extensions of study visas and refer you to recommended agents for visas and for medical insurance cover.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please apply and register for the EFL course atleast three months before the start date of the course you wish to attend, so that you have adequate time to prepare your visa and accommodation in South Africa.
Many students come to Wits Language School to improve their English before heading to another university in South Africa or aboard, such as in Canada, America and the United Kingdom. This allows you to spend time immersed in an English-speaking university at a lower cost before heading to more expensive countries.
Some of our students are here for postgraduate studies at Wits University, and attend our full-time English courses at the same time as doing postgraduate course work.
It is also possible to work on your English proficiency for your job, and so market yourself as a more fluent English speaker when you return to your home country. This can improve your job opportunities and working environment, with the chance to travel and work in other English speaking countries.