Who is watching your drink?
Rohypnol is a drug which is commonly used as date rape drug internationally including South Africa. It is a powerful and dangerous drug sometimes used to assist sexual assault and rape. Date rape drugs are used on both females and males. It is used by perpetrators often at parties, raves, and clubs.
- It can be slipped into a drink (spiking) by perpetrators quickly when the unsuspecting person is not looking.
- It cannot be detected because it is tasteless and there is no the awareness of being drugged at the time.
- Within 30 minutes of being drugged weakness and confusion occur, sometimes leading to loss of consciousness, but appearing drunk to others —
- This means if you have been drugged by Rohypnol or similar club drug, you are unable defend yourself, or refuse sex and cannot remember what happened while you were drugged.
- Rohypnol can also cause these amongst other serious problems: difficulty standing; problems with moving; feeling drunk; difficulty talking ;dizziness; sleepiness;
Suggestions to protect yourself:
- Don't accept drinks from other people.
- Open containers yourself.
- Keep your drink with you at all times, even when you go to the bathroom.
- Don't share drinks.
- Don't drink from punch bowls or other common, open containers. They may already have drugs in them.
- If someone offers to get you a drink from a bar or at a party, go with the person to order your drink. Watch the drink being poured and carry it yourself.
- Don't drink anything that tastes or smells strange. Sometimes, GHB tastes salty.
- Have a nondrinking friend with you to make sure nothing happens.
- If you realize you left your drink unattended, pour it out.
- If you feel drunk and haven't drunk any alcohol — or, if you feel like the effects of drinking alcohol are stronger
(Office of Women’s Health US Department of Health and Human Services)
If you have been sexually harassed or abused and would like assistance and support, please contact the Gender Equity Office (GEO):
All information will be treated sensitively and confidentially.
If this incident occurs after hours or over the weekend please try to contact somebody you trust urgently to assist you with medical attention.
Please ALWAYS try your best to be safe and be responsible.