Wits Citizenship and Community Outreach (WCCO)
WCCO is committed to enriching the lives of Wits students by educating them about and connecting them to the needs of their community across campus, the country, and the world.
We promote active citizenship and community service by encouraging Witsies to donate their time, skills and talents to volunteer for local communities. We provide you with real-world experiences, and opportunities to enrich your educational experience while addressing community needs.
You can also apply to join the Global Citizens for Social Justice Programme, a series of discussions and debates to help you broaden your knowledge of issues relating to global citizenship and social justice that go beyond the immediate requirements of your degree. The programme helps you develop an awareness of yourself as a future citizen of the world.
Why join WCCO?
- Working with us will help you understand diversity including issues of disability, racism, sexism and poverty and many other issues.
- You will also gain crucial leadership skills including self-confidence, critical thinking skills, conflict resolution, and a sense of social responsibility
There are different opportunities available to students:
- Placements: Volunteers work at the same NGO each week on a specified day. Students should be enthusiastic and dependable volunteers. An annual commitment is required except for examination periods.
- Work Camps: Volunteers work in a rural setting over a period of 8 to 10 days at a time, working alongside members of the community with the goal of contributing to sustainable development in the area.
- Campaigns: Short-term projects usually in association with an organisation eg. clean-up drives, awareness campaigns etc
- Individual Student led projects: Students are encouraged to initiate their own projects, to be creative and innovative in responding to community needs.
Join WCCO now and select an NGO, a project or talk to us about starting your own project.
Lower ground floor of the Student Union Building (Matrix), around the corner from Campus Health
Wits Braamfontein Campus East
Tel: 011 717 9255 or 011 717 9217
Lizette.Norris@wits.ac.za or Karuna.Singh@wits.ac.za