Campus Housing and Residence Life is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the University’s residence programme, including accommodation and meals, and the provision of recreational facilities and programmes for the improved academic performance and the holistic development of students within a residential environment.
The Central Accommodation Office on the Ground Floor of Senate House deals with all enquiries regarding student accommodation. This office is also responsible for limited staff and visitor accommodation, as well as conference information.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ACCOMMODATION IN A WITS RESIDENCE
• New students to the University or first time residence applicants:
1. Simply tick the box on your application form that enquires whether you need accommodation. NB: The closing date for al Undergraduate student applications is 31 August and for Postgraduate student applications is 31 October each year. Late applications will not be accepted.
2. You will then be sent a comprehensive residence questionnaire to complete and returned together with a copy of your proof of payment for the R95.00 Residence application fee. NB: this is for Undergraduate student applications only
3. If you are offered University accommodation, a refundable deposit of R800,00 must be paid as confirmation of your acceptance of a place in residence. This deposit must be paid within the stipulated time after you have been offered a place in residence. All applicants need to pay the deposit regardless of whether or not they have a bursary. The deposit slip must be retained and must be shown to the residence accommodation officer when you register at your residence.
4. Before admission to a residence, an international student will be required to pay 100% of his/her residence fees for the year.
5. Bursary students must provide proof of their bursary upon registration.
STUDENTS WHO ARE PRESENTLY AT WITS, BUT NOT RESIDING IN RESIDENCE:
1. Application forms can be obtained from the Central Accommodation Office in Senate House.
2. Complete the form and return it to the Central accommodation Office by the closing date (31 August).
3. Upon receiving an offer of a place in residence, pay your R800.00 deposit into your student fees account, as confirmation of your acceptance of the place. (if this deposit is not paid within 21 days of offer, the offer will be withdrawn.)
STUDENTS CURRENTLY RESIDING IN RESIDENCE:
1. Readmission to University accommodation for a subsequent year is not automatic. A student's academic and disciplinary records are taken into account when readmission applications are considered.
2. Application forms for readmission are available from the accommodation officer in your residence and must be completed and returned by 30 September.
3. Should you wish to transfer to another residence this may also be indicated on your readmission form, however, you should also ensure that your name is on the waiting list of the residence to which you wish to transfer.
4. Late applications will not be accepted.
For on campus information: email@example.com
- The Accommodation Officer at the Office of Residence Life should be contacted to obtain information on private accommodation in Johannesburg and its environs.
- Off-campus accommodation is available in flats and cottages situated in suburbs around Johannesburg. Off-campus accommodation costs per month on average R3000.00 (excluding water, rent, electricity only), for a furnished room or cottage, on average R3000.00 for single person/one bedroom apartment.
The following are Office Campus Accommodation Details:
- Aengus Property Management (APM) provide well situated off campus student accommodation at competitive rates. Details as follows: www.aengus.co.za or Tel: +27 11 403 0554
- Student Digz can be contacted for suitable off campus accommodation. Details as follows: www.studentdigz.co.za or
Tel: +27 11 720 0010
- South Point can also be contacted for off campus accommodation. Details as follows: www.staysouthpoint.co.za or Tel: +27 11 489 1900 or Tel: +27 73 062 3749
- StayCity can be contacted on 011 642 4811
- Student Village can be contacted on 011 887 1533/4
- For off campus alternative information: firstname.lastname@example.org