WITS SEMESTER Study Abroad Outgoing Procedure

The Application Process for a Wits Semester Abroad Opportunity

  1. Visit the International Students Office (ISPO), Partnerships website:  for an overview of the partners Wits has signed cooperation agreements with.
  2. Contact the International Students Office (ISO) to establish the nature of the agreements we have with partner institution/s you are interested in and whether you are eligible.
  3. Check the relevant exchange partners' website or visit the ISO for course information.
  4. Obtain application forms from partner university website or ISO for partner institutions you are interested in.
  5. Match the most suitable courses at the collaborating university to your Wits curriculum for the semester you wish to apply for.
  6. Complete the "Expression of interest Form"
  7. Meet with your learning and teaching advisor or relevant Wits Head of School/Department and advise the relevant individual/s to complete the "Permission for International Exchange" form which confirms your course selections at the partner institution and transfer of credits towards your Wits degree, should you pass the courses taken at the collaborating university.
  8. Submit both application forms together with the "Permission for International Exchange" form as well as all supporting documentation to the ISO. The ISO will review the documents and nominate the student to the partner institution.
  9. The International Students Office (ISO) will forward the application form and all supporting documentation to the partner institution.
  10. The partner institution will decide on whether you can be offered a place as an exchange student and which courses you will be able to study
  11. The partner institution will issue an Offer letter/Acceptance Letter, which you will receive via post, email or the Internationalisation Students Office (ISO)
  12. Student sets up a meeting with the relevant Faculty Registrar to get your exchange semester/year ratified. Should your exchange period at the partner university overlap over two Wits academic years ex. 2014/2015, the student must make the necessary arrangements with the Faculty Registrar to be registered at the beginning of the 2015 academic year. The student should follow up with the registrar closer to the registration period to make sure that he/she is registered for the specific academic year.
  13. Make all necessary arrangements regarding travel, visa requirements, accommodation and Health Insurance for host institution. Information regarding Visa requirements can be located on the partner university website and on the website of the specific embassy/consulate in SA.  Information regarding accommodation options off campus with contact details is also available on the partner university websites. If the partner university is offering on campus accommodation, this information is also provided to the student. Should the student require any assistance regarding any of the above, they may contact the ISO or the International Office at the partner university.
  14. The International Students Office (ISO) will provide continued administrative support as and when required by the student
  15. Both the “Permission for International Exchange” and “Expression of Interest Form” forms can be downloaded and printed at the following link:
  16. The partner university posts the student’s transcript to ISO as soon as it is ready or the student downloads his/her transcript from the partner university website.
  17. Wits student completes the Feedback Form (Experience Abroad) upon return

Expression of interest form(Outgoing)

Permission for International Exchange(Faculty)

Submit the Application to the:
International Students Office
Ground Floor, Senate House

Telephone: +27(0)11 717 1054