Online application guidelines
Apply online by following these easy guidelines
You are encouraged to submit your application online, however, should you experience technical difficulties in doing so, you may download an application form at https://www.wits.ac.za/applications/choosedownloads and have it submitted to the Student Enrolment Centre (by hand or registered mail) for processing.
- Step 1 - Click on the link above and select the relevant option. This will enable you to create a profile and password to continue with an online application. Please ensure you use your current e-mail address and current cell number as you will be sent numerous e-mails and SMS's with important information before and after submitting your application.
- Step 2 – Once your password has been created and you have confirmed your e-mail address you will be directed to the applications portal to start completing your application, a series of details are required (contact details, your employment information, your academic qualifications). Once you have entered all this information the last step would be to submit the application.
- Step 3 – At the time you submit the application an e-mail confirmation will be generated to you as confirmation the application has been officially submitted and a letter of acknowledgement will follow the next day.
- Step 4 – You will need to upload your academic qualifications and any other additional documents required of you through the Student Self service Portal at https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Step 5 – Once the application is submitted and all the required documents uploaded, the application is then complete and the School can evaluate your application accordingly.
How to upload supporting documents on self-service
The Checklist Explanation Document will guide you in defining the documents that are required for your application should you not be certain.
All required documents must be uploaded via the student self-service portal @ https://self-service.wits.ac.za. Student ID is your person/student number; Password is your date of birth in the format ‘YYMMDD.
Student ID: Student Number/ Person Number
Password: If DOB is 1991/09/28 you enter in 910928
Once you have logged on, click the Student Centre tile, check your ‘To do’ list, and click Manage Documents to upload any outstanding items.
Remember to save your documents and name them correctly as you can only upload them once against a particular category.
The uploaded documents will reflect as ‘Not verified' on your profile until they have been reviewed/verified by the Admissions Office, after which they will reflect as “Electronic”.
Should your application be successful duly certified copies of all your academic qualifications must be submitted to the Student Enrolment Centre in hard copy before you can accept the offer online and proceed with registration.
Should you need assistance during these steps you are welcome to contact us at the Student Call Centre on +27 (0)11 717 1888 and advise where on the system you need further assistance. We receive a large number of online applications without great difficulty but are happy to assist where necessary.
International applicants – Please Note:
If you are an international applicant with Foreign Qualifications or a South African citizen who has studied at a Foreign institution, please be reminded that the University will require you to have these evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA ) before your application can be deemed as complete to be evaluated.
Download an application form
Should you prefer to make a manual application you may download the application form and submit to our offices by hand or postal service. No faxed or emailed applications are acceptable.
Application forms must be posted or couriered to:
Student Enrolment Centre
Solomon Mahlangu (Senate) House - Ground Floor
University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Avenue
Application fee banking details
Standard Bank: Braamfontein
Branch code: 004805
Account number: 200 346 385
SWIFT Code SBZAZAJJ
Use your person/student number as the reference.