DNA Ancestry Testing Experience
Our DNA can be used to trace our human ancestry.
Did you know?
Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is passed on from mothers to both her sons and daughters. However, only her daughters will transmit their mtDNA in successive generations. Both males and females can be tested for mtDNA to trace their maternal ancestry. Fathers pass on their Y chromosome to their sons only, who then pass on their Y chromosome to their sons, and so on.
- Saturday, 5th August 2017 - Book at webtickets
- Saturday, 2nd September 2017 - Book at webtickets
- Saturday, 30th September 2017 - Book at webtickets
- Saturday, 7th October 2017 - Book at webtickets
- Saturday, 4th November - Book at webtickets
The DNA Ancestry Testing Experience takes 2 hours and includes:
- Presentation by Dr. Ian McKay on evolution.
- Presentation by Ms Rajeshree Mahabeer of the National Health Laboratory Service on genetic ancestry testing.
- DNA Testing of participants who want to be tested. At least 10 participants would be tested.
- A museum visit about the origins of man.
- Female DNA Ancestry Testing Kit and Briefing Session is R1400
- Male DNA Ancestry Testing Kit and Briefing Session is R2100
- Only Briefing Session and Museum visit is R275
Females are tested for mitochondrial DNA lineage only. (X Chromosome)
Males are tested for both Paternal and Mitochondrial DNA lineages. (X and Y Chromosomes)
Pre-bookings essential as attendance is limited to 60 persons.
For your information: DNA Information Sheet with Sample Report
Queries on DNA for individuals, can be directed to the NHLS (National Health Laboratory Service) at 011 489 9237.
The NHLS is open Monday – Friday by appointment only. Please be sure to call in advance to book as a live kit is prepared. The DNA results can take 08-14 weeks to be completed and can be mailed or picked up at the NHLS in Braamfontein.
For enquiries and additional information, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 011 717 4700