Project Manager AD07
(Two year fixed term contract with potential extension pending funding)
Wits Mining Research Institute (WMRI)
The Wits Mining Research Institute (WMRI) is being established to conduct collaborative research on questions relating to the broad field of mining and all of its complex social, cultural and political ramifications, as they relate to South Africa, Africa and the wider world. The University of the Witwatersrand is seeking a suitably qualified Master’s graduate to play a critical role in the further development of this initiative, as its project administrator. This cross-faculty initiative requires a project manager with a broad understanding of the research environment at a university, ideally across more than one relevant faculty.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Strategic planning for WMRI, including the development of fundraising documents for local, national and international funding agencies and government and policy making for the WMRI presentations to interest groups and prospective funders (this would require local, national and international travel) well as writing funding proposals in order to secure funds for the support of WMRI;
- Conducting interviews with researchers, wider community and key opinion leaders in the field (academic, government and wider community), evaluating the inputs and producing position papers and planning documents for WMRI;
- Leadership in the organisation of workshops and symposia, providing high level input into the identification of key participants and the subject matter for discussion as well as documenting the process and outcomes and translating this into policy documents for WMRI. Deputising for the project leader as and when appropriate;
- Managing interactions with the research community by sending out relevant news and events pertaining to WMRI. By responding and answering all queries regarding MME and/or directing these to the relevant people;
- Administration related to WMRI, including setting up and managing appointments and meetings, including those of the coordinating committee; writing minutes and reports; management of all documentation; managing the finances of WMRI. Marketing of WMRI through the development of printed material, e.g. pamphlets/posters as well as the electronic media, e.g. a website and assisting with the management of students (in liaison with Schools where appropriate);
- Development in collaboration with relevant staff, of academic activities related to the WMRI process including postgraduate courses and degrees, seminar programmes and colloquia/conferences.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree;
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in working with senior officials in a University.
Please submit a covering letter clearly indicating which post you are applying for, detailed CV with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses of 3 referees to Ms. Noxolo Mavundla: Central Human Resources Office, University of the Witwatersrand, Private 3, Wits, 2050, E-mail: recruiting.centralHR@wits.ac.za
18th May 2012
Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right not to appoint.
éCommitted to excellence and equity.