School: School of Public Health
Position: Senior Operations Manager (AD07)
Remuneration: A competitive salary package will be offered
The Wits School of Public Health (WSPH) is one of the largest Schools of Public Health in South Africa, with an international reputation for its teaching programmes, conducting high quality and relevant research, community outreach and policy engagement activities. The School seeks to appoint a senior operations manager with excellent planning, leadership and problem-solving skills to contribute to the direction, management, and organisational development of the School and to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of a growing and vibrant organisation.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Provide management and oversight of School of Public Health operations, including research, teaching, service, and partnerships.
- Enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the School of Public Health (SPH) through developing, implementing and managing administrative staff, systems, processes and the capacity for implementation.
- Ensure profiling, marketing and publicity of the school to reflect its research, teaching and partnerships portfolio
- Oversee the human resources and financial management and administration within the School, in order to support all activities of the SPH
- Support increase in third stream research income, through grant-writing, the negotiation of contracts, management of income, expenditure and cash flow and financial reporting to donors
- Assist with the development and management of effective relationships with local and international partners
- Provide advice and support the Head of School on strategies to grow and profile the SPH at national, regional and international levels and in order to meet the strategic goals of the University
- Ensure compliance with university policies, production of university documentation (quinquennial reviews, FTEs, publications, teaching splits, risk register etc.).
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualifications in business management, finance, strategic management, administration or similar.
- A minimum of 5 years working at a senior management/ administrative level, with experience in supervision, management and leading operations.
- Maturity, with excellent interpersonal and leadership skills, and ability to work in a team and to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Good writing skills, ability to prioritise and track tasks, as well as to meet deadlines.
- Well organised, problem-solver, with sound time-management skills.
- Organisational ability, initiative and follow-up.
- Excellent project management skills
- Attention to detail and ability to work in a team environment.
- Computer literacy in the following packages (MS Office, Excel, Internet, E-mail, OSS) and knowledge of the Wits administrative and financial systems, including Oracle.
- Knowledge and experience with the Wits/Wits Health Consortium administrative and financial systems, including Oracle will be an advantage
- Experience with writing grant proposals, fundraising and grant management will be an added advantage;
Please note that if shortlisted, applicants will be asked to perform certain tasks as part of the interviewing process.
Closing date: 9 May 2012
To apply, please submit a covering letter clearly indicating which post you are applying for, a detailed CV with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses of 3 referees Please apply via i-Recruitment https://irec.wits.ac.za
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the underrepresented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. The University retains the right not to make an appointment and to verify all information provided by candidates.
Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.