Purpose: Performing skilled locksmith work in the repair, alteration, installation and keying of locks on buildings, equipment, on all University Property. Cut and issue keys, maintain a computerized key register, advise builders, contractors and Heads of Departments on suitable locking systems and devises. Maintain and manage stock, inspect completed work for compliance and applicable building and safety regulations, estimate time and material for locksmith project and manage an on campus locksmith workshop.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Install, repair and maintain locking systems (e.g. doors, door hardware, , change lock combinations, security bolts ,lockers and magnetic keying systems) to ensure safety of facilities.
- Make new keys, replace broken or lost keys
- Design and maintain a key control system for all University Campuses
- Ensure all keys have serial numbers for identification purpose
- Design, implement and maintain preventative maintenance programmes
- Prepare documentation in written or electronic formats for job cards, daily paperwork, requisitions, and stock control.
- Maintain tools and equipment in good and safe condition
- Request and order equipment and supplies for the purpose of maintaining inventory and ensuring availability of required items, such as key blanks and essential spare parts. Maintain stock registers and inventory and work in close liaison with the Finance and business manager regarding budgets, income and expenditure.
- Respond to emergency situations where the locksmiths’ skills are required during and after hours for the purpose of resolving immediate security concerns.
- Advise Campus Control Management on trends and developments within the locksmiths trade and advise on suitable locking solutions
- Matric or equivalent
- NCT11 and 111 Lock Finisher
- Registered with SIRA as a locksmith
- Four years experience as a locksmith in the commercial, industrial or facilities operations setting
- Experience at stock control management
- Financial experience to ensure the locksmiths function operates in a cost effective manner
- Computer literacy
- Excellent communication skills and ability to produce written reports
- Drivers license (motor vehicle or motor cycle)
- Ability to train an assistant locksmith to the required standard
Please submit a covering letter clearly indicating which post you are applying for, detailed CV with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses of 3 referees. Please quote reference number SPD02
Closing Date: 24 April 2012
Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. If you applied for the first advert please do not apply again.