Five awards for VoW FM
- By Wits University
Entries from Voice of Wits (VoW) FM and the Wits Radio Academy were honoured with five awards at the industry’s MTN Radio Awards last weekend. This comes just days after a radio proposal from the academy and the Wits Justice Project was awarded a gold medal at the Global Innovation Competition in Jakarta, Indonesia.
The MTN awards were:
- Best breakfast show presenter (on campus radio): VoW's Mpumi Mlambo
- Best music show (on campus radio): VoW's KPOP Fridays on Mugging Beats
- Best News & Actuality presenter (on campus radio): Paul McNally, for the Science Inside, broadcast on VoW
- Best News & Actuality Show (on campus & community radio): The academy's Science Inside, broadcast on VoW
- Best documentary: Paul McNally's 'The story of Farouk Meyer & Oscar Pistorius' broadcast on Thetha FM. This was a joint category, in which radio stations from all sectors, including the big commercial and public ones, competed.
The Science Inside is a weekly VoW FM radio show and podcast produced by the Radio Academy with the support of the Department of Science and Technology and the Wits Faculty of Science, exploring the science behind major news events.
In Jakarta, a proposal by Paul McNally for a Citizen Justice Network was given a gold medal as one of the top four ideas in the world, out of 241 entries. The proposal to train radio correspondents at community advice offices will now be given funding for implementation.
The full list of MTN winners is at http://www.mtnradioawards.co.za/mtn_2015winners.html