The Wits Business School Strategic Management of Innovation research group seeks to investigate innovation from an original standpoint by using business firms as the unit of analysis. Firms are considered to be active, responding to signals originating from public sector institutions rather than as passive agents.
This research group, which continues to grow, is led by Gillian Marcelle, Associate Professor at WBS. It is made up of a dynamic group of people including seasoned researchers from the WBS academic staff, colleagues from other departments within WITS and other universities, private sector players and emerging researchers.
What we do
The Strategic Management of Innovation research group meets bi-monthly at the WBS campus. In line with the key objective of producing industry and policy relevant research, meetings are content focused. These meetings are used to present work in progress research, to share information on relevant publication, research opportunities and upcoming conferences. In addition, the group shares resources and information on sources of funds to support research on strategic management and innovation. The core working strategy is as follows:
- Publishing: A specialist imprint has been launched within the WBS Working Paper series in order to disseminate works in progress on matters relevant to innovation.
- Seminar Series: These are internal forums for group members to present work in progress in an informal setting. We also host seminars providing guest speakers with an opportunity to present relevant research.
- Reading Groups: These share relevant literature on innovation studies and management of innovation. This is relevant for the PhD candidates in the group.
- Collaboration: We actively engage with, share and encourage collaborations with relevant institutions either from the public, private or academic sector.
- Research clusters: These are based on research areas that include Biotechnology, Innovation for Development, Serial Innovators and Innovation Strategies in the Service Sector amongst others. The goal of these clusters is to facilitate cross-fertilization of ideas and development of research capabilities
As a contribution to the innovation and development community, Wits University organized, hosted and managed this symposium, which provides a platform for knowledge exchange. Click here for the website.
|| Latest News and Events
WBS invites applications for teaching position in innovation management and policy
The Wits Business School is situated on a self-contained campus in Johannesburg, the heart of the South African commercial and industrial world. The mission of the school is to provide a broad range of high quality management education through its extensive academic and executive programme. Wits Business School invites applications for specialists in the areas of Innovation Management and/or Innovation Policy(Senior Lecturer) with the ability to teach on the specialist Master of Management in the field of innovation studies and other relevant postgraduate programmes. Read more
This site is best viewed with Internet Explorer.