FIRST TIME USER GUIDE
Who may use this service?
This service is intended for students and staff of the University of the Witwatersrand. If you are not a member of this group we will reply to your query if it relates to the University of the Witwatersrand Library Services collection, resources and services.
Examples of questions you can ask?
- What journals or databases should I consult for my assignment?
- How do I search and mark citations in ProQuest databases?
- The citation on this database does not seem to have a fulltext link. Can you help?
- Can you suggest a useful book on the following topic?
- My lecturer recommended I find two articles for my assignment, where can I find them?
- I am a computer science student and I am looking for information on ?Cell biology? How and where do I start?
- I am working from home and have been trying to access databases. I seem not to be able to access Science Citation Index. Please help!
- On numerous occasions I have made some efforts to access the wealth of information that I hear people raving about in so-called full text databases. Which database is full text and which one is not?
What this service does not provide
- A marketplace or economical or private advert
- Medical/legal advice
- Answers to quizzes, crosswords or competitions
- Work for assignments for learners at primary or secondary school
When can you expect a reply?
Information librarians will acknowledge receipt of your question as soon as possible and will make every effort to respond to your question within three working days.
You will need:
- A computer with an internet connection
- Windows web browser such as Chrome or Internet Explorer
- An email account (i.e. email address, private or Wits e-mail)
How to use the Ask-a-Librarian form
- Open up the Ask-a-Librarian form.
- Please complete all sections indicated by a asterisk (*)
- Provide as much information about your query as possible.
- Once you click on "Submit" you will receive an acknowledgement by e-mail.
- Please don t include attachments.
How do you get your answer?
You will receive your answer via the email address you provided. If you need further information or clarification do not reply to this email. Instead follow the instructions in your e-mail - built in e-mail reply:
- Click on Check your Question and answer button
- Login using your email address and password (if you have forgotten your password, you can have it emailed to your email address)
- Click on the Answered Question button
- Click on the question you would like to see information about.
- Scroll down and locate ?please enter reply to your question here?
- Type in your reply/new question/ request for clarification
- Click on send response button
Use patron account to (i.e. your e-mail address):
- Keep track of your questions and answers
- Change your password and settings
- Review your responses
- Close your finished questions
Please note that your questions and answers will be kept on your account for 90 days only. After this time they will be removed from the system.