The International Students Office seeks to complement the services provided by faculties and academic departments to international students.
External to the University, the office interfaces with foreign representatives in South Africa, the Department of Home Affairs, Medical Aid providers, the SA Medical Schemes Council, the Matriculation Board and Universities South Africa (USA) and the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA)
The office offers the following non-academic services:
- Provide information on Wits and on studying (and living) in South Africa,
- Provide information and guidance on obtaining a Matriculation Exemption,
- Advice on immigration issues - application procedure for study visas and renewals of study visas,
- Provide information on South African approved medical aid service providers,
- Ensure that all international students are in compliance with university and government requirements prior to registration
In cooperation with the Strategic Partnerships Office (SPO), the International Students Office also facilitates the Semester Study Abroad Programme as well as other programmes creating opportunities for Wits students to study/conduct research at partner universities abroad.