LIBRARY ACCESS, BORROWING AND DATABASE ACCESS FOR WITS ALUMNI, February 2010
Alumni should obtain access cards to the University Campus and to the Library from the Office of Alumni Relations on the West Campus. A charge is made for a card which is a personalized ICAM picture card. Please note that all libraries are now cashless‚ copying and printing must be paid for with an ICAM card, which can be loaded with cash ‘Kudu bucks’ on cash terminals on all campuses in the following locations:
- Senate House Ground Floor– next to Cashiers
- The Matrix– between Umthombo and the Matrix Buildings, East Campus
- Tower of Light– Outside the Commerce Library, West Campus
- Wits Library of Management, Parktown
- Education Library, Education Campus, Parktown
- Medical School, Parktown– next to the Standard Bank ATM
The Office of Alumni Relations will accept additional payment for Library borrowing privileges. The Alumnus card will then be activated for borrowing a maximum of 2 books at a time for a 7 days loan period, with renewals permitted online or at the desk.
Fines are charged for books not returned or renewed.
Click here to download list of libraries and their open times.
ACCESS TO ELECTRONIC RESOURCES
The Library web page address is http://www.wits.ac.za/Library/. Alumni can access and search any part of this website remotely (i.e. off campus, at home, in another country, etc) EXCEPT FOR THE ELECTRONIC RESOURCES ACCESSED UNDER RESEARCH RESOURCES. Electronic resources (databases, e-journals, e-books) can only be accessed from a computer in any Wits Library.
ALUMNI SHOULD ASK A LIBRARIAN TO LOG THEM ON TO THE INTERNET USING A GUEST PASSWORD. Please note: Alumni and other external permit holders are not able to have use of a guest password after 5 pm when Library full time staff are not available.
PLEASE NOTE THAT LICENCE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW ALUMNI TO HAVE REMOTE OFF CAMPUS ACCESS TO ELECTRONIC DATABASES, e-JOURNALS, e-BOOKS.
Results of searches can sometimes but not always be downloaded on to memory sticks.
Searches can be printed on Library Pay-for-Print connections using Kudubucks loaded on an Alumnus card.
For enquiries about technicalities of alumni status in the Library please contact the
ALL LIBRARIES GO CASHLESS in 2010 WITH KUDUBUCKS!
Following the success of the cashless library pilot project in Wartenweiler last year, the pilot has now been rolled out to all libraries on the East and West campuses and to libraries in Parktown. It is now Library policy that no cash payments for any services or charges will be taken in any libraries. Instead, staff and students will be asked to swipe their University ICAM cards through newly installed equipment linked to the computer system at the desk in all libraries. This procedure will debit and receipt the specified amount from the card and reflect the fines or other charges paid on the patron record in the library system.
Staff and students who need to make payments of fines or other charges in any library are therefore asked to load Kudu Bucks on to their University ICAM cards. Kudu Bucks can be loaded at any of the following Kudu Bucks Terminals: Senate House Ground Floor - next to Cashiers; The Matrix - between Umthombo and the Matrix Buildings, East Campus; Tower of Light - Outside the Commerce Library, West Campus; Wits Library of Management, Parktown; Education Library, Education Campus, Parktown and Medical School, Parktown - next to the Standard Bank ATM. Please note that in some libraries
where student assistants are on evening or Saturday duty in libraries, fine payments cannot be processed. More information email Clare.Walker@wits.ac.za, download Kudu card brochure here.
WITS ALUMNI AND CONVOCATION MEMBER’S LIBRARY PRIVILEGES
- Alumni who have registered with the Alumni Office and obtained an alumni card will have access to the library, provided they have not previously defaulted in returning borrowed books.
- Alumni cards will be renewed annually, provided that the alumnus/alumnae has not defaulted on a library loan.
- Alumni who are members of Convocation (ie. who hold a degree qualification from the University) and who have been issued with an alumni card will have borrowing rights from the library on payment of the required fee.
- An annual borrower’s fee of R220 in 2010, increasing by 10%pa, will be charged and paid into a Wits Foundation alumni relations account.
- A defaulting Convocation member will be required to pay the replacement cost to the alumni office for any borrowed books not returned or lost or stolen whilst in their possession. The full cost of replacing the book will be charged unless, in the case of theft, a police case number is presented, in which case only the historic replacement cost will be charged.
- The Alumni Office will cancel the alumni access card of any Convocation member who defaults as a borrower (i.e. fails to return a book or fails to pay monies owing to the Library).
- Convocation members will be limited to borrowing two books at a time and books may only be borrowed for a period of one week at a time (or less, depending on the loan status of the book).
- Convocation members will be liable to pay normal library fines directly to the library for late return of books.
- Members of Convocation are subject to normal Library access, loan and administrative procedures and should comply with any Library, Computer and University Codes of Conduct, as published on the Library website or elsewhere.
- License agreements with vendors of electronic resources preclude alumni from remote (ie. off campus) access to the libraries commercial electronic resources. Access to the library’s public website and catalogue is however freely available.
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR LIBRARY USE
Every library client is subject to the disciplinary rules of the University. Failure to comply with this Library Code of Conduct or with the University Code of Conduct for the use of computer facilities, or misconduct in any library, may result in disciplinary action.
Clients are responsible for all items issued against their cards, and should therefore take due care of Library materials as they would of other personal possessions. The loss or theft of any item should be reported immediately to the library from which it was borrowed.
All items should be returned or renewed on or before the due date stamped on the date sheet, to avoid incurring fines.
Fines are charged on all overdue items (items returned after the date stamped on the relevant date sheet and not renewed.) Examination results are withheld against outstanding student loans or Library accounts which have not been paid.
A client may not use the card of any other client to access libraries. Loss or theft of a card should be reported to the Library immediately so that the number may be blocked for further use. Clients should produce their cards for library staff on request.
Theft, vandalism, mutilation, defacing or marking of Library materials, facilities or property are disciplinary offences.
SILENCE should generally be observed in library areas where people are studying, and in any areas not specifically designated as discussion areas.
CELLPHONES should not generally be used in libraries. Ring tones should be set at low discreet or vibrate levels; calls should be not normally be taken or made in any library.
FOOD and DRINK may NOT be consumed by clients in libraries or library buildings. (Closed water bottles are permitted.)
SMOKING is NOT PERMITTED in libraries or library buildings.
NO GAMES of any kind may be played in libraries or library buildings or using library computer equipment.
The University Code of Conduct for the Use of Computer Facilities should be observed at all times and clients should not abuse computer or Internet facilities.
INSULTING LANGUAGE or PROVOCATIVE BEHAVIOUR is not tolerated in any library or towards any member of the Library staff.
UNAUTHORISED REMOVAL of any Library material and equipment from libraries or library buildings will be treated as a disciplinary offence.