2012 Call for applications for ratings
Closing date: 15 February 2012
Click here to complete an application
The following persons are eligible to apply for evaluation and rating:Researchers who are employed and remunerated on a full-time, part-time or contract basis at South African (SA) higher education institutions (HEIs) (including private HEIs in SA), museums or at NRF recognised research institutions. (For retired academics/researchers bullet 6 applies)
- Full-time temporary staff members at SA HEIs and SA museums who enjoy the conditions of service that normally also apply to their permanent full-time colleagues.
- Persons who are in the process of being appointed in full-time posts at SA HEIs and SA museums (i.e. applications from such persons can be submitted by the HEI). However, a motivation confirming the researcher’s employment and proposed start date should be provided before the rating will become valid.
- Persons holding joint appointments between a SA institution and a foreign institution who are actively involved in research capacity building locally and who are actively mentoring/training postgraduate students/young research staff. Such persons should be appointed by the SA institution in a full-time capacity for a period of at least six months per annum and should spend at least six months per annum in SA. A motivation from the institution submitting the application should be submitted confirming that these conditions are met.
- Persons holding joint appointments between two institutions within SA (of which at least one appointment should be a formal association with an NRF recognised research institution) who are actively involved in research capacity building locally and who are still actively mentoring/training postgraduate students/young research staff. Such persons must indicate which institution is the primary institution, i.e. the institution to which the rating must be linked. A motivation from the institution submitting the application must be submitted confirming that these conditions are met.
- Retired academics/researchers must meet all set criteria as stipulated below
- resident in SA, and
- formally affiliated to a SA HEI (e.g. appointed as an emeritus professor, honorary research associate/professor, supernumerary/contract employee) and whose application for rating is formally supported and endorsed by a SA HEI to which he/she is or is anticipating to be affiliated, and
- active researchers with a distinguished track record in research and postgraduate student supervision, and
- actively mentoring/training postgraduate students/young research staff.