A Supervisor’s report is submitted with the student’s submission of the Thesis/ Dissertation/ Research Report. The report will only be seen by the GSC for quality assurance purposes and will also form part of documentation if an ad hoc committee meeting is called. The report should be short and should comment on the supervision process as well as briefly assess the quality of the Thesis/Dissertation/Research Report. The Supervisor’s report will NOT be sent to the examiners.
Supervisors should report on the supervision process.
- The supervisor should comment on the supervision process (frequency of meetings, any difficulties in the relationship, time frames, number of drafts etc.)
- There should be an assessment of the student's ability to work independently at the different stages of the project: selection of the topic, the literature review, data collection and data analysis.
- The supervisor should report on the conferences attended by the student and the student's publications.
- In the case of joint publications there should be a clear statement of what work was done by each of the authors of each joint publication included in the dissertation or thesis.
- The supervisor should draw to the Graduate Studies Committee’s attention to any personal difficulties experienced by the student (death in the family, illness etc).
Supervisors should briefly assess the quality of the dissertation or thesis. This assessment should include
- An assessment on the quality of the language and presentation.
- An assessment of the contribution that the research makes to knowledge in the field.
- An assessment of the standard of the work.