PROF Anthony Naldrett
011 717 1000
No email address available at present
No Room Number available at present
No Blog information available at presentNo CV available at present vCard
Tony Naldrett joined the Department of Geology in 1967. He and his students/research associates have worked on the geology, mineralogy and chemistry of magmatic sulfide deposits and related rocks. He has authored, or co-authored along with his students and colleagues, 227 refereed publications, plus the writing or editing of 7 books, the most recent published by Springer Verlag in 2004.
Tony s research has covered most of the world s magmatic sulfide ores, including those at Sudbury, the Abitibi Belt, the West Australian Komatiite deposits, the Zimbabwe Ni deposits, deposits of the Raglan and Thompson Nickel belts, Noril sk, Pechenga, Jinchuan, the Duluth Complex, and PGE in the Bushveld and Stillwater complexes, the Great Dyke, and at Lac des Iles. He has also taken an interest in chemical processes related to magmatic sulfides, including work on the Fe-S-O and Fe-Ni-S systems, sulfur solubility in silicate melts, the activities of divalent cations in mafic melts, partitioning of Ni, Cu, Co and PGE between sulfide and silicate melts and between mss and sulfide melts. He retired in 1998, but retains a position as University Professor Emeritus, and continues his research on magmatic sulfide deposits, most recently as Honorary Professor in the School of Geosciences, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa.
Apart from academic studies, Tony has played a role in several scientific societies, becoming President of the Mineralogical Association of Canada (1982-83), the Society of Economic Geologists (1991-92), the International Mineralogical Association (1998-2002) and the Geological Society of America (2001-2002). His honours include appointment as University Professor of the University of Toronto (1984), election to Fellowship in the Royal Society of Canada in 1984, Honorary Life Fellowships in the European Union of Geosciences (1983), Russian Mineralogical Society (1999) and Mineralogical Society (2002), the Barlow Gold Medal of the Canadian Institute for Mining and Metallurgy (1974), the Bownocker Gold Medal of Ohio State University (1986), the Duncan Derry (1980) and Logan Medals (1994) of the Geological Association of Canada, the Society (1982) and Penrose Gold (2002) Medals of the Society of Economic Geologists, and the Past-Presidents Medal of the Mineralogical Association of Canada (1991). Tony was awarded D.Sc. honoris causa by Laurentian University in 2000 and by the University of Pretoria in 2001.
- 2004 Naldrett, A.J., Magmatic Sulfide Deposits: Geology, Geochemistry and Exploration, Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, Berlin, 728 pp.
- 2004 Naldrett, A.J., South Africa s position in the world of magmatic sulfide deposits, Newsletter, Geological Society of South Africa, June Number.
- 2003 Naldrett, A.J., Magmatic Sulfide Deposits of Nickel-Copper and Platinum Metal Ores, ISBN 5-902260-02-7, St Petersburg University 400 pp (in Russian)
- 2003 Li, Chusi, Ripley, Edward M. and Naldrett, Anthony J., Compositional variations of olivine and sulfur isotopes in the Noril sk and Talnakh intrusions, Siberia: Implications for ore-forming processes in dynamic magma conduits. Economic Geology, 98 , 69-86
- 2002 Naldrett, A.J., Geological environments favourable to the presence of magmatic sulfide ores Rudy i Metally No 5 p.33-47 (in Russian).
- 2002 Naldrett, A.J., Requirements for forming giant Ni-Cu sulfide deposits in Proceedings (Ed. David R. Cooke and June Pongratz), Shortcourse ?Giant Ore Deposits: Characteristics, Genesis and Exploration?, June 17-20 th , 2002, Centre for Ore Deposit Research Hobart, Australia Special Publication 4 , 195-204
- 2002 Morgan, John W., Walker, Richard J., Horan, Mary F., Beary, Ellyn S. and Naldrett, Anthony J., 190 Pt- 186 Os and 187 Re- 187 Os systematics of the Sudbury Igneous Complex, Ontario. Geochimica and Cosmochimica Acta, 66 , 273-290.
- 2001 Kerr, A., MacDonald, H.E. and Naldrett, A.J., Geochemistry of the Pants Lake Intrusion, Labrador: Implications for future mineral exploration. Current Research, Newfoundland Department of Mines and Energy, Geological Survey report 2001-1, 194-228
- 2001 Li, C., Naldrett, A.J. and Ripley, E.M., Critical factors for the formation of a Ni-Cu deposit: Lessons from a comparison of the Pants Lake and Voisey s Bay deposits, Labrador, Mineralium Deposita 36 , 85-92.
- 2000 Brugmann, G.E., Hanski, E.J., Naldrett, A.J. and Smolkin, V.F., Sulfide segregation in ferropicrites from the Pechenga complex, Kola peninsula, Russia. Journal of Petrology, 41 , 1721-1742.
- 2000 Naldrett, A.J., Singh Jagmohan, Krstic Sasha and Li Chusi, The mineralogy of the Voisey s Bay Ni-Cu-Co deposit, Northern Labrador, Canada: Influence of oxidation state on textures and mineral compositions Economic Geology, 95 , 889-900
- 2000 Naldrett, A.J., Asif, Mohammed, Krstic, Sasa, and Li, Chusi, The composition of ore at the Voisey s Bay Ni-Cu sulfide deposit, with special reference to platinum-group elements, Economic Geology, 95 , 845-866
- 2000 Li, Chusi, Lightfoot, P.C., Amelin, Y. and Naldrett, A.J., Contrasting petrological and geochemical relationships in the Voisey s Bay and Mushuau intrusions, Labrador, Canada: Implications for ore genesis. Economic Geology, 95 , 771-800
- 2000 Li, Chusi and Naldrett, Anthony J., Melting reactions of gneissic inclusions with enclosing magma at Voisey s Bay: Implications with respect to ore genesis. Economic Geology, 95 , 801-814
- 2000 Lambert, David D., Frick, Louise R., Foster, Jeffrey, G., Li, Chusi and Naldrett, Anthony J., Re-Os Isotopic Systematics of the Voisey s Bay Ni-Cu-Co Magmatic Sulfide System, Labrador, Canada: II. Implications for Parental Magma Chemistry, Ore Genesis and Metal Redistribution, Economic Geology, 95 , 867-888
- 2000 Amelin, Y., Li, C., Valeyev, O. and Naldrett, A.J., Nd-Pb-Sr isotope systematics of crustal assimilation in the Voisey s Bay and Mushuau intrusions, Labrador, Canada, Economic Geology, 94 , 815-830
- 2000 Naldrett, A.J., A special issue on the Voisey s Bay Ni-Cu-Co Deposit, Labrador, Canada, Introduction, Economic Geology, 95 , 675-676
- 2000 Naldrett, A.J. and Li, Chusi (editors), A special iss ue on the Voisey s Bay Ni-Cu-Co Deposit, Labrador, Canada, Economic Geology, 95 , Issue No. 4, 673-915
- 2000 Rip ley, E.M., Park, Y.-R., Li, Chusi and Naldrett, A.J., Oxygen isotopic study of the Voisey s Bay Ni-Cu-Co deposit, Labrador, Canada, Economic Geology, 95 , 831-844