Qualification: BSc, BSc (Hons), PhD (University of Cape Town), MRSC
Phone: 011 717 6724
The organic chemistry group at the University of the Witwatersrand is made up of four team members. Each staff member in the team heads a thrust devoted to different aspects of organic synthesis. Professor de Koning's thrust focuses on two aspects: i) the development of new routes to synthesize aromatic and heteroaromatic systems, and their applications to the assembly of aromatic natural products; ii) the development of stereoselective cyclisations and the use of memory of chirality in stereoselective substitution reactions. In this thrust, transition metal-mediated reactions are used for constructing and functionalizing condensed aromatic, heteroaromatic and polyaryl systems, with palladium and chromium used extensively in our work. The former metal is used to mediate reactions such as the Suzuki coupling reaction while arene-chromium tricarbonyl chemistry is used to direct the stereoselective construction of benzylic stereocentres. In addition, the transition metal ruthenium is used for mediating ring closing metathesis reactions for the assembly of aromatic rings.
- Metathesis in the Synthesis of Aromatic Compounds, W A L van Otterlo and C B de Koning, Chemical Reviews, 2009, 109, 3743-3782.
- Tetralones as Precursors for the Synthesis of 2,2-Disubstituted 1,1-binaphthyls and Related Compounds, S S Moleele, J P Michael and C B de Koning, Tetrahedron, 2008, 64, 10573-10580.
- Bidirectional Racemic Synthesis of the Biologically Active Quinone Cardinalin 3, S Govender, E M Mmutlane, W A L van Otterlo and C B de Koning, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2007, 5, 2433-2440.
- Stereoselective Syntheses of the 2-Isopropenyl-2,3-dihydrobenzofuran Nucleus. Potential Chiral Building Blocks for the Syntheses of Trematone, 4-Hydroxytrematone and Rotenone?, S C Pelly, S Govender, M A Fernandes, H-G Schmalz and C B de Koning, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2007, 72, 2857-2864.
- The Synthesis of the Dibenzopyrrocoline Alkaloid Skeleton: Indolo[2,1-a]isoquinolines and Related Analogues, A N C Lr, R Pathak, T S Sello, M A Fernandes, W A L van Otterlo and C B de Koning, Tetrahedron, 2007, 63, 2263-2274.
- Metathesis Reactions for the Synthesis of Ring Fused Carbazoles, S C Pelly, C J Parkinson, W A L van Otterlo, C B de Koning, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2005, 70, 10474-10481.
- The Synthesis of Angular Polyaromatic Compounds by Using a Light-Assisted, Base-Mediated Cyclization, R Pathak, K Vandayar, W A L van Otterlo, J P Michael, M A Fernandes and C B de Koning, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2004, 2, 3504-3509.
- Modern Methods for the Synthesis of Substituted Naphthalenes, C B de Koning, A L Rousseau and W A L van Otterlo, Tetrahedron, 2003, 59, 7-36
- The Synthesis of Isochromane-4-ols and Isochromane-3-ols. Models of Naturally Occurring Benzo[g]isochromanols, C B de Koning, I R Green, J P Michael and J R Oliveira, Tetrahedron, 2001, 57, 9623-9634.
- Synthesis of the Bisbenzannelated Spiroketal Core of the -Rubromycins. The Use of a Novel Nef-type Reaction Mediated by Pearlman's Catalyst, T Capecchi, C B de Koning and J P Michael, Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions 1, 2000, 2681-2688.
- A Versatile and Convenient Method for the Synthesis of Substituted Benzo[a]carbazoles and Pyrido[2,3-a]carbazoles, C B de Koning, J P Michael and A L Rousseau, Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions 1, 2000, 1705-1713.
- Syntheses of Isochromane Analogues of the Michellamines and Korupensamines, C B de Koning, J P Michael and W A L van Otterlo, Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions 1, 2000, 799-811.
- A Novel Method for the Synthesis of Substituted Naphthalenes and Phenanthrenes, C B de Koning, J P Michael and A L Rousseau, Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions 1, 2000, 787-797.