Wits Interdisciplinary Research Seminar Series
The next seminar will be held on 17 July
All seminars are held on Wednesdays at 13h30 in the Origins Centre seminar room, Room 006, Origins Centre, West Campus.
Past Seminars (2013)
- Nqobile Zulu - Is there a game farming culture or culture of game?
- Vusi Kumalo - Education and Land as a fundamental to Ethiopianism appeal: The making of Evaton as an autonomous settlement 1905 to 1918
- Shireen Ally and Eric Worby - The Disappointment of Nostalgia: Conceptualising Cultures of Memory in Contemporary South Africa
- Helen Ludlow - Reflections on a 19th Century Local History - Colesberg, Cape Colony, and the shaping of government schooling
- Tshepo Moloi - The Botswana connection: MK, Saboteurs and the eruption of militant opposition in Thembisa Township, 1979 to the mid-1980s
- Caroline Greyling - The emergence and Development of Ultra Conservatives in Ermelo. 1960-1994
- Hannah Dawson - Youth politics: waiting and envy in a South African informal settlement
- Liezemarie Johannes - Rethinking the Local: Lessons from Gated Communities
- Philip Bonner - The mid – twentieth century South African Riot. The View from The Rand
Past Seminars (2012)
- Stanley Malindi - What Light can the workings of Traditional Courts in and around Gopane throw on the role of Traditional Courts in a modern democratic South Africa?
- Tshepo Moloi - From Gang Warfare to Political Violence, Maokeng Township, from mid-1980s to 1992
- Tiffany Ebrahim - Young Mothers in Bushbuckridge, Mpumalanga
- Prinish Badassy - “Secrecy was the essence of the crime!”1 Newspaper and Public Discourses of Infanticide, Natal, 1860-1910
- Andrea Johnson - Who is the Public Official at Beit Bridge border post, Musina
- Ian McQueen - ‘Liberal Failure or Radical Moment? The Spro-cas Projectsand Opposition to Apartheid in the 1970s’
- Andrew McDonald - The Dançarinas of Lourenço Marques and Beira:Merry-making, Women Travellers and South Africa's Eastern Border,1920s-1940s
- Thembeka Mufamadi - The creation of the Programme to Combat Racism, 1968-1969, by the World Council of Churches, in its fight against apartheid
- Vusi Kumalo - The making of Evaton community : Origins, development and the dynamics of Evaton community 1905-1939
- Sifiso Ndlovu - National identity and ethnic identity in post-apartheid South Africa: A case study of former KwaNdebele in the rainbow nation
- Noor Nieftagodien - Vaal squatters in the 1940s: occupiers, speculators and eye of the city
- Danai Mupotsa - Plays, Pageants and Weddings: Staged Afro-Modernities in Early 20th Century South Africa
- Nqobile Zulu - The perfomativity of community in environmental conservation and ecotourism
- Stephen Volz (Kenyon College) - African Teachers on the Colonial Frontier: Tswana Evangelists and Their Communities During the Nineteenth Century
- Franziska Rueedi (Oxford) - Patterns of violence in the Vaal Triangle, 1984 - 1986
- Nancy Andrew (Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam) -Farm dwellers caught in the claws of expanding commercial wildlife production: land concentration and the social impact of large private game reserves in the Eastern Cape
- Sarah Godsell - Personal investment and state policy: The Haphazard foundations of Bophuthatwana in Hammanskraal 1948-1960
- Micah Reddy - Sapping the Walls - Tsawan Mine workers and the struggle against Mangope in the early 1990s
- Stacey Sommerdyk - From Slavery to “Engagé” Labour: Purchasing Unfree Labourers on the Loango Coast, 1749-1862"
- Michelle Hay - The Challenges of Land Transfer Under The 1936 Natives Trust and Land Act
- Julian Brown - What do we talk about when we talk about 'the local'?
- Philip Bonner - The Black Elite
If you would like to join this mailing list contact: email@example.com or call (011) 717 4281