Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I choose to study at Wits?
Please take a look at the Facts about Wits, and check out our achievements and awards.
Why choose a Bachelor of Arts degree?
- The BA degree encourages critical and independant thinking, and is challenging and thought provoking
- The BA degree offers students a wide range of subjects
- The flexibility of a BA allows you more personal choice in the construction of your degree
- BA study can lead to postgraduate qualifications, such as PDM or MBA.
- One can pursue a professional degree within a BA degree (For example, Law).
- Courses within a BA degree are relevant in the workplace
- The BA degree prepares students for a large range of jobs, and gives students many different skills
How much is my first year of study in the Faculty of Humanities going to cost me, and where do I go to apply for financial assistance?
- Typical first-year tuition fees range between R 23 000 - R 30 000.00 within the BA or specialised BA degree programmes. Visit the Student Enrolment Centre for more information.
- The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office will give you any information that you need on the range of scholarships and bursaries available to Wits students. Tel: 717-1070/1076
What is the closing date for the Postgraduate Merit Award?
- The closing date for the PG Merit Award is the 31 August.
Where do I get help with my Academic work at Wits?
Who can help me to choose the best curriculum for my needs?
- The Wits Counselling and Careers Development Unit:
The CCDU offers a careers information service, internship opportunities, information about courses at Wits, career planning interviews and a comprehensive careers resource centre. Registered students are also offered graduate job placement service, job search skills and other life skills programmes for which there is a demand.
Telephone: 717-9140/9132. Enquiries 27 11 717 9130
Who can I speak to if I have personal problems that are not related to my degree?
Who do I contact to find out more about the Faculty of Humanities
Please look at our contact details section.