1. Bangdiwala SI, Fonn S, Okoye O, Tollman SM. Workforce resources for health in developing countries, Public Health Reviews, 32(1): pp 296-318, 2010.
2. Basu D, Basu JK, Ellison GT. The burden of infertility among HIV-positive couples in South Africa: the available evidence, South African Medical Journal, 100(6): pp 354-6, 2010.
3. Basu D, Croce D, Porazzi E, Restelli U, Naidoo S. Introduction of concept of cost centre management in a public hospital in South Africa, Journal of Health Care Finance, 36(3): pp 88-91, 2010.
4. Basu JK, Basu D. The management of failed second-trimester termination of pregnancy. Contraception, 80(2): pp 170-3, 2009.
5. Basu JK, Jeketera CM, Basu D. Obesity and its outcomes among pregnant South African women. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 110(2): pp 101-4, 2010.
6. Beksinska ME, Smit J, Scorgie F, Dube S, Kunene B, Martin-Hilber A, Chersich. Use of modern and traditional products to self-treat symptoms of sexually transmitted infections in South African women, International Journal of STD and AIDS, 21: pp 797-801, 2010.
7. Bhayat A, Yengopal V, Rudolph M, Predictive Value of group 1 oral lesions for HIV infection, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, 109(5): pp 720-723, 2010.
8. Blaauw D, Erasmus E, Pagaiya N, Tangcharoensathein V, Muller K, Mudhune S, Goodman C, English M, Lagarde M. Policy interventions that attract nurses to rural areas: a multicountry discrete choice experiment. Bull World Health Organ; 88:350-356, 2010.
9. Byass P, Kahn K, Fottrell E, Collinson MA, Tollman SM. Moving from data on deaths to public health policy in Agincourt, South Africa: approaches to analyzing and understanding verbal autopsy findings, PlosMed, 7(8): e1000325, ISSN 1549-1277, 2010.
10. Byass P, Twine W, Collinson M, Tollman SM, Kjellstrom T. Assessing a population’s exposure to heat and humidity: an empirical approach, Global Health Action, 3: pp 5421, 2010.
11. Chersich M, Luchters S, De Koker P, Van Roosem R, Temmerman M. Acute hepatitis B virus infection despite previous immunization in the context of recent HIV – 1 infection, AIDS 2010, 24: pp 2137-2142, 2010.
12. Chimbindi NZ, McGrath N, Herbst K, Tint KS, Newell M-L, Socio-Demographic Determinants of Condom use among sexually active young adults in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, The Open AIDS Journal, 4, pp 88-95, 2010.
13. Christofides N, Jewkes R. Acceptability of universal screening for intimate partner violence in voluntary HIV testing and counseling services in South Africa and service implications, AIDS Care, 22(3): pp 279-285, 2010.
14. Cloete A, Rispel L, Metcalf C, Reddy V. Being straight and being gay: Identity or Multiple Desire: The case of South Africa, Sexuality in Africa Magazine and Monographs, 6(1): pp 9-10, 2010.
15. Cohen C, Singh E, Wu H, Martin S, de Gouveia L, Klugman K, Meiring S, Govender N, von Gottberg, for the Group for Enteric Respiratory and Meningeal Disease Surveillance in South Africa (GERMS-SA). Increased incidence of meningococcal disease in HIV-infected individuals associated with higher case-fatality ratios in South Africa. AIDS, 24(9): pp1351-1360, 2010.
16. Collinson MA. Striving against adversity: the dynamics of migration, health and poverty in rural South Africa, Global Health Action, 3:,pp 5080, 2010.
17. Doherty J. Cost-effectiveness analysis for [priority-setting in South Africa – what are the possibilities? South African Medical Journal, 100(12): pp 816-820, 2010.
18. Draper CE, Nemutandani SM, Grimsrud AT, Rudolph M, Kolbe-Alexander TL, De Kock L, Lambert EV. Qualitative evaluation of a physical activity-based chronic disease prevention program in a low-income, rural South African setting, Rural and Remote Health, 2010.
19. Draper CE, De Kock L, Grimsrud AT, Rudolph M, Nemutandani S, Kolbe-Alexander T, Lambert EV. Evaluation of a school-based physical activity intervention in Alexandra Township, South African Journal of Sport Medicine, 22(1); pp 12-19, 2010.
20. Drogan D, Weikert C, Dierkes J, Klipstein-Grobusch K, Buijsse B, Möhlig M, Pfeiffer AF, Pischon T, Spranger J, Boeing H. Plasma gamma-glutamyltransferase, cysteinyl-glycine, and oxidized low-density lipoprotein: a pathway associated with myocardial infarction risk? Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010 Oct;30(10):2053-8. Epub 2010 Jul 29.PMID: 20671231
21. Ezeh A, Izugbara CO, Kabiru CW, Fonn S, Kahn K, Manderson LH, Undieh A, Omigbodun A, Thorogood M. Building capacity for public and population health research in Africa: The consortium for advanced research training in Africa (CARTA) model, Global Health Action, 3:5693, pp 1-7, 2010.
22. Fonn S, Ray S, Blaauw D. Innovation to improve health care provision and health systems in sub-Saharan Africa – Promoting agency in mid-level workers and district managers. Global Public Health,1-12, 2010.
23. Fottrell E, Kahn K, Ng N, Sartorius B, Huong DL, Minh HV, Fantahun M, Byass P. Mortality measurement in transition: proof of principle for standardized multi-country comparisons, Tropical Medicine and International Health, 15(10): pp 1256-1265, 2010.
24. Garenne M. Urbanisation and child health in resource poor settings with special reference to under 5 mortality in Africa, Archive of Diseases in Childhood , 95:464-468, 2010.
25. Glynn JR, Murray J, Bester A, Nelson G, Shearer S, Sonneberg P. High Rates of Recurrence in HIV-Infected and HIV-Uninfected Patients with Tuberculosis. J Infect Dis, 201(5):704-11, 2010.
26. Glynn JR, Murray J, Shearer S, Sonnenberg P. Tuberculosis and survival of HIV-infected individuals by time since seroconversion. AIDS, 24(7): pp 1067-9, 2010.
27. Gomez-Olive FX, Thorogood M, Clark BD, Kahn K, Tollman SM. Assessing health and well-being among older people in rural South Africa, Global Health Action (supplement 2): 23-35, 2010.
28. Govender M, Letshokgohla ME, Basu D. Health technology assessment - a new initiative in South Africa. South African Medical Journal, 100(6): p 334, 2010.
29. Hodkinson B, Meyer PM, Musenge E, Aklly MT, Wadee AA, Anderson R, Tikly M. The diagnostic utility of the anti-CCP antibody test is no better than rheumatoid factor in South Africans with early rheumatoid arthritis, Clinical Rheumatoid, pp 615-618, 2010.
30. Hofman KJ, Tollman SM. Health Policies and Practice. Setting priorities for health in 21st century South Africa, South African Medical Journal, 100(12): pp 798-800, 2010.
31. Hosegood V, Madhavan S. Data availability on men’s involvement in families in sub-Saharan Africa to inform family-centred programmes for children affected by HIV and AIDS, Journal of the International AIDS Society, 13 (supplement 2), pp S5, 2010.
32. Humphrey JN, Marinda E, Mutasa K, Moulton LH, Iliff PJ, Ntozini R, Chidawanyika H, Nathoo KJ, Tavengwa N, Jenkins A, Piwoz EG, Van de Perre P, Ward BJ. Mother to child transmission of HIV among Zimbabwean women who seroconverted postnatally: prospective cohort study, BMJ, doi:10.1136/bmj.c6580, 10: pp 1-11, 2010.
33. Hunter L, Strife S, Twine W. Environmental perceptions of rural South African residents: the complex nature of environmental concern, Society and Natural Resources, 23(6): pp 525-541, 2010.
34. Izugbara CO, Ngilangwa DP. Women poverty and adverse maternal outcomes in Nairobi, Kenya, BMC Women’s Health, 10(33): pp 1-8, 2010.
35. Janse van Rensburg ABR, Jassat W. Acute mental health care according to recent mental health legislation. Part II. Activity-based costing. African Journal of Psychiatry, 2010..
36. Jina R, Jewkes R, Munjanja SP, Mariscal JD, Dartnall E, Gebrehiwot Y; FIGO Working Group. Report of the FIGO Working Group on Sexual Violence/HIV: Guidelines for the management of female survivors of sexual assault. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 109(2): pp 85-92, 2010.
37. Kaai S, Bullock S, Sarna A, Chersich M, Luchters S, Geibel S, Munyao P, Mandaliya K, Temmerman K, Rutenberg N. Perceived stigma among patients receiving antiretroviral treatment: A prospective randomised trial comparing an m-DOT strategy with standard-of-care in Kenya. Journal of Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS Vol. 7 No. 2 August 2010.
38. Kakinami L, De Bruyn G, Pronky P, Mohapi L, Tshabangu N, Moshabela M, McIntyre J, Martinson NA. The impact of highly active antiretroviral therapy on activities of daily living in HIV-infected adults in South Africa, AIDS and Behaviour, DOI 10.1007s10461-010-9776-y.
39. Kimani-Murage EW, Holding PA, Fotso J-C, Ezeh AC, Madise NJ, Mahurani EN, Zulu EM. Food security and nutritional outcomes among urban poor orphans in Nairobi, Kenya, Journal of Urban Health, 87: pp 1-11, 2010.
40. Kimani-Murage EW, Kahn K, Pettifor JM, Tollman SM, Dunger DB, Gomez-Olive XF, Norris SA. The prevalence of stunting, overweight and obesity, and metabolic disease risk in rural South African children, BMC Public Health, 10: pp 158, 2010.
41. Kowal P, Kahn K, Ng N, Naidoo N, Abdullah S, Bawah A, Binka F, Chuc NTK, Debpuur C, Ezeh A, Gomez-Olive FX, Hakimi M, Hirve S, Hodgson A, Juvekar S, Kyobutung C, Menken J, Minh HV, Mwanyangala A, Razzaque A, Sankoh O, Streatfield PK, Wall S, Wilopo S, Byass P, Chatterji S, Tollman SM. Ageing and adult health status in eight lower-income countries: the INDEPTH WHO-SAGE collaboration, Global Health Action, (supplement 2); pp 11-22, 2010.
42. Mathee A, Oba J, Rose A. Climate change impacts on working people (the HOTHAPS initiative): findings of the South African pilot study. Global Health Action 2010, 3:5612- DOI 10.3402/gha.v3i0.5612.
44. Michielsen K, Chersich M, Luchters S, Van Rossem R, Temmerman M. Concurrency and the limited effectiveness of behavioural interventions on sexual risk behaviour of youth in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 2010 August 24; 24(13):2140-2
45. Mickenautsch S, Tyas MJ, Yengopal V, Oliviera LB, Bonecker M, Absence of Carious Lesions at Margins of Glass-Ionomer Cement (GIC) and Resin-Modified GIC Restorations: A Systematic Review, European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry, 18(3), pp 139-145, 2010
46. Mickenautsch S, Yengopal V, Banerjee A, Atraumatic restorative treatment versus amalgam restoration longevity: a systematic review, Clinical Oral Investigations, 14(August), pp 233-240, 2010.
47. Mickenautsch S, Yengopal V, Banerjee A. Pulp response to resin-modified glass ionomer and calcium hydroxide cements in deep cavities: a quantitative systematic review. Dent Mater, 26: pp 761-770, 2010.
48. Mickenautsch S, Yengopal V, Demineralization of hard tooth tissue adjacent to resin-modified glass-ionomers and composite resins: a quantitative systematic review, Journal of Oral Science, 52(3), pp 347-357, 2010.
49. Mickenautsch S, Yengopal V, Resin-modified glass-ionomer cements versus resin-based materials as fissures sealants: a meta-analysis of clinical trials, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, 11(1), pp 18-25, 2010.
50. Mickenautsch S. Systematic reviews, systematic error and the acquisition of clinical knowledge, BMC Medical Research Methodology, 10(53), 2010.
51. Moshabela M, Pronyk PM, Williams N, Schneider H, Lurie M. Patterns and implications of medical pluralism among HIV/AIDS patients in rural South Africa, AIDS and Behaviour, pp 1-11, 2010.
52. Mullei K, Mudhune S, Wafula J, Masamo E, English M, Goodman C, Lagarde M, Blaauw D. Attracting and retaining health workers in rural areas: investigating nurses’ views on rural posts and policy interventions. BMC Health Services Researc,; 10(Suppl1):S1, 2010.
53. Muller E, Chirwa TF, Lewis DA. Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection in heterosexual South African men attending sexual health services: association between HOPV and HIV serostatus, Sexually Transmitted Infections, 86: pp 175-180, 2010.
54. Naicker N, Norris SA, Mathee A, Becker P, Richter L. Lead exposure is associated with a delay in the onset of puberty in South African adolescent females: findings from the Birth to Twenty cohort. Sci Total Environ. 408(21): pp 4949-54, 2010.
55. Naicker N, Mathee A, Barnes B, Naidoo S, Swart A. The prevalence and health implications of violence impoverished communities in Johannesburg. The Southern African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection , vol. 25(4): pp 41-46, 2010.
56. Naicker N, Norris SA, Mathee A, von Schirnding YE, Richter L. Prenatal and adolescent blood lead levels in South Africa: child, maternal and household risk factors in the Birth to Twenty cohort. Environ Res. 110(4): pp 355-62, 2010.
57. Nelson G, Girdler-Brown B, Ndlovu N, Murray J. Three Decades of Silicosis: Disease Trends at Autopsy in South African Gold Miners. Environ Health Perspect, 118(3):421-6, 2010.
58. Ng N, Kowal P, Kahn K, Naidoo N, Abdullah S, Bawah A, Binka F, Chuc NTK, Debpuur C, Egondi T, Gomez-Olive FX, Hakimi M, Hirve S, Hodgson A, Juvekar S, Kyobutungi C, Minh HV, Mwanyangala MA, Nathan R, Razzaque A, Sankoh O, Streatfield PK, Thorogood M, Wall S, Wilopo S, Byass P, Tollman SM, Chatterji S. Health inequalities among older men and women in Africa and Asia: evidence from eight Health and Demographic Surveillance System sites in the INDEPTH WHO-SAGE Study, Global Health Action (supplement 2): pp 96-107, 2010.
59. Nyasulu P, The role of Adjunctive Mycobacterium w Immunotherapy for Tuberculosis, Journal of Exp Clinical Medicine, 2(3), pp 124-129, 2010.
60. Nyathi T, Chirwa TF, Van der Merwe DG. A survey of digital radiography practice in four South African teaching hospitals: An illuminative study, Biomedical Imaging and Intervention Journal, 6(1): pp 1-6, 2010.
61. Ogunmefun C, Gilbert L, Schatz E. Older female caregivers and HIV/AIDS-related secondary stigma in rural South Africa. Journal of Cross Cultural Gerontology , DOI: 10.1007/s10823-010-9129-3, 2010
62. Oji Oti S, Odimegwu C. Perinatal mortality in Nigeria: Do place of delivery and delivery assistants matter? The Open Demography Journal – Open Access, 2: pp 1-10, 2010.
63. Oliveira LB, Mickenautsch S, Yengopal V, Bezerra ACB, Leal SC, Bönecker M. Conhecimento atual sobre a longevidade de selantes ionoméricos. Revista Brasileira de Pesquisa em Saúde, 11(3): pp 52-58, 2009.
64. Phillips JI, Green YF, Davies JCA, Murray J. Pulmonary and systemic toxicity following exposure to nickel nanoparticles. Am J Ind Med, 53:763-7, 2010.
65. Phillips JI, Murray J. Malignant Mesothelioma in a Patient with Anthophyllite Asbestos Fibres in the Lungs. Ann Occup Hyg, 54(4):412-6, 2010.
66. Rees D, Murray J, Nelson G, Sonnenberg P. Oscillating Migration and the Epidemics of Silicosis, Tuberculosis, and HIV Infection in South African Gold Miners. Am J Ind Med 2010;53:398-404, 2010.
67. Richter M, Chersich M, Scorgie F, Luchters S, Temmerman M, Steen R. Sex work and the 2010 FIFA world cup: time for public health imperatives to prevail. Globalisation and Health, 6:1: 8-10, 2010.
68. Rispel LC, Barron P. Health Policies and Practice: Can disease control priorities improve health systems performance in South Africa? South African Medical Journal, 100(12): pp 801-806, 2010.
69. Rispel L, Peltzer K, Nkomo N, Molomo B. Evaluating an HIV and AIDS community training partnership program in five diamond mining communities in South Africa. Evaluation and Program Planning 2010; 10:1016.
70. Sartorius B, Kahn K, Vounatsou P, Collinson MA, Tollman SM, Space and time clustering of mortality in rural South Africa (Agincourt HDSS), 1992-2007, Global Health Action, (supplement 1): pp 50-58, 2010
71. Sartorius BKD, Kahn K, Vounatsou P, Collinson M, Tollman S. Young and vulnerable: spatial-temporal trends and risk factors for infant mortality in rural South Africa (Agincourt) 1992-2007, BMC Public Health, 10: pp 645, 2010.
72. Schneider H, Marcis F, Grard J, Penn-Kekana L, Blaauw D, Fassin D. Negotiating care: patient tactics at an urban South African hospital. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy, 10: 1258: 1-6, 2010.
73. Scorgie F, Beksinska M, Chersich M, Kunene B, Hilber A, Smit J. “Cutting for love”: genital incisions to enhance sexual desirability and commitment in KwaZulu-Natal South Africa. Reproductive Health Matters, 18(35): 1-9, 2010.
74. Serwaa-Bonsu A, Herbst K, Reniers G, Ijaa W, Clark B, Kabudula C, Sankoh O. First experience in the implementation of biometric technology to link data from health and demographic surveillance systems with health facility data, Global Health Action, 3: pp 2120, 2010.
75. Smit J, Chersich MF, Scorgie F, Beksinska M, Kunene B, Manzini N, Martin Hilber A, Rees H. Prevalence and self-reported effects of vaginal practices in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: findings from a household survey. Tropical Medicine and International Health, 16(2): pp 245-256, 2010. Nov 23
76. Solomon A, Rees D. Back to basics – the chest radiograph in silica associated tuberculosis, Occupational Health Southern Africa, November/December 2010, pp 25-27.
77. Sonnenberg P, Copas A, Glynn JR, Bester A, Nelson G, Shearer S, Murray J. The effect of HIV infection on time off work in a large cohort of gold miners with known dates of seroconversion. Occup Environ Med. DOI: oem.2010.058487 [pii] 10.1136/oem.2010.058487
78. Swanepoel AJ, Rees D, Renton K, Swanepoel C, Kromhout H, Gardiner K. Quartz exposure in agriculture: literature review and South African survey, Annals of Occupational Hygiene, 54(3): pp 281-292, 2010.
79. Vekinis D, Kielkowski D, Bello B, Rees D. Work-related fatalities in the South Africa construction industry: 2004 to 2006, Occupational Health Southern Africa, January/February 2010, pp 10-16, 2010.
80. Venkatesh K, de Bruyn G, Lurie M, Lentle K, Tshabangu N, Moshabela M, Martinson N. Patient referral from nurses to doctors in a nurse-led HIV primary care clinic in South Africa: Implications for training and support, AIDS Care, pp 1-8, 2010.
81. Venkatesh K, de Bruyn G, Lurie M, Mohapi L, Pronyk P, Moshabela M, Marinda E, Gray GE, Triche E, Martinson N. Decreased sexual risk behavior in the era of HAART among HIV-infected urban and rural South Africans attending primary care clinics, AIDS, 24: pp 1-10, 2010.
82. Venkatesh K, De Bruyn G, Marinda E, Otwombe K, Van Niekerk R, Urban M, Triche EW, McGarvey ST, Lourie MN, Gray GE. Morbidity and Mortality among infants born to HIV-infected women in South Africa: Implications for child health in resource-limited settings, Journal of Tropical Pediatrics Advance Access, pp 1-11, 2010.
83. Williams JR, Schatz E, Clark BD, Collinson MA, Clark SI, Menken J, Kahn K, Tollman SM. Improving public health training and research capacity in Africa: a replicable model for linking training to health and socio-demographic surveillance data, Global Health Action, 3: pp 5287, 2010.
84. Williams JR. Doing feminist-demography, International Journal of Social Research Methodology, 13(3): pp 197-210, 2010.
85. Wills J, Rudolph M, Health promotion capacity building in South Africa, Global Health Promotion, 17(3), pp 29-34, 2010.
86. Wills J, Chinemana F, Rudolph M. Growing or connecting? An urban food garden in Johannesburg, Health Promotion International, 25(1): pp 33-41, 2010.
87. Yengopal V, Chikte UME, Bhayat A, Mickenautsch S. Salt Fluoridation: a meta-analysis of its efficacy for caries prevention. SADJ 2010; 65: 60-67.
88. Yengopal V, Mickenautsch S. Resin-modified glass-ionomer cements versus resin-based materials as fissure sealants” a meta-analysis of clinical trials. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 2010; 11: 18-25.
89. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal 2010; 65: 32-34
90. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal 2010; 65: 90-93.
91. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal 2010; 65: 142-145.
92. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal 2010; 65: 186-189
93. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal 2010; 65: 230-233.
94. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal 2010; 65: 276-279.
95. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal 2010; 65: 330-333
96. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal 2010; 65: 384-387
97. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal 2010; 65: 438-441.
98. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal 2010; 65: 494-497
99. Yengopal V. Restorative materials for the treatment of dental caries in the primary dentition: an appraisal of the evidence. World Dental Reporter 2010; 2: 6-8.
Chapters in books
Forward in Books