1. Alkema L, Raftery AE, Gerland G, Clark SJ, Pelletier F, Buettner T and Heilig GK. Probabilistic projections of the total fertility rate for all countries. Demography, 48:p. 815-839 DOI: 10.1007/s13524-011-0040-5, 2011.
2. Bennett, S, Corluka, A, Doherty, J, Tangcharoensathien, V, Patcharanarumol, W, Jesani, A, Kyabaggu, J, Namaganda, G, Hussain,AMZ and de-Graft Aikens A. Influencing policy change: the experience of health think tanks in low- and middle-income countries. Health Policy and Planning: p.1-10, 2011.
3. Black V, Sprague C and Chersich M. Interruptions in payment for lay counsellors affects HIV testing at antenatal clinics inJohannesburg. South African Medical Journal, 101(6): pp. 407-408, 2011.
4. Byass P, Kahn K and Ivarsson A. The global burden of childhood celiac disease: a neglected component of diarrhoeal mortality.PLoS ONE, 6(7): e22774 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0022774, 2011.
5. Byass P, Kahn K, Fottrell E, Mee P, Collinson MA and Tollman SM. Using verbal autopsy to track epidemic dynamics: the case of HIV-related mortality in South Africa. Population Health Metrics, 9(46) DOI; 10.1186/1478-7954-9-46, 2011.
6. Byass P, Sankoh O, Tollman SM, Högberg, Wall S. for designing and validating epidemiological surveillance in uncounted populations. PLoS ONE, 6(8): e22897 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0022897, 2011.
7. Chukwuemeka E.N. and Odimegwu, C. Regional patterns and correlates of HIV voluntary counselling and testing among youths in Nigeria. African Journal of Reproductive Health, 15(2). P. 131-146, 2011.
8. Fonn, S. Linking public health training and health systems development in sub-Saharan Africa: Opportunities for improvement and collaboration. Journal of Public Health Policy, 32(S1): p. 9, 2011.
9. Fottrell E, Kahn K, Tollman S and Byass P. Probabilistic methods for verbal autopsy interpretation: InterVA robustness in relation to variations in A Priori probabilities, PLoS One, 6(11): 2011.
10. Fottrell E, Tollman S, Byass P, Gooloba-Mutebi F. and Kahn K. The epidemiology of ‘bewitchment’ as a lay reported cause of death in rural South Africa. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, DOI: 10.1136/jech.2010.124305, 2011.
11. Godlwana LL, Stewart A and Musenge E. Differences in characteristics between people with lower limb amputations who died before 12 weeks and those who survived: Short Report. SA Journal of Physiotherapy, 67(1): pp 44-47, 2011.
12. Gottesfeld P, Murray J, Chadha SS and Rees D. Preventing tuberculosis with silica dust controls. The International Journal of Tubercolosis and Lung Disease, 15(6): p. 713-714, 2011.
13. Hargrove, JW, Humphrey, JH, Mahomva, A, Williams, BG, Chidawanyika, H, Mutasa, K, Marinda, E, Mbizvo, MT, Nathoo, KJ, Iliff, PJ and Mugurungi, O. Declining HIV prevalence and incidence in perinatal women in Harare, Zimbabwe. Epidemics, 3: p. 7, 2011.
14. Hull T, Hilber AM, Chersich MF, Bagnol B, Prohmmo A, Smit JA, Widyantoro N, Utomo ID, Francois I, Tumwesigye NM and Temmerman M. Prevalence, Motivations and Adverse Effects of Vaginal Practices in Africa and Asia: Findings from a Multicountry Household Survey. Journal of Women’s Health, 20(7): p 13, 2011.
15. Hunter LM, Twine W and Johnson A. Adult mortality and natural resource use in rural South Africa: evidence from the Agincourt Health and Demographic Surveillance Site. Society & Natural Resources, 24(3): pp. 256-275, 2011.
16. Izugbara, CO, Ochako, R and Izugbara, C. Gender scripts and unwanted pregnancy among urban Kenyan women. Culture, Health & Sexuality, p: 15, 2011.
17. Jassat, W and Janse van Rensburg, A. Acute mental health care according to recent mental health legislation PART II. Activity-based costing. African Journal of Psychiatry, 14: p. 23-29, 2011.
18. Jina R, Jewkes R, Christofides N and Smith J.H. Recovering of DNA evidence after rape. South African Medical Journal, 101(10). P. 758-759, 2011.
19. Jina R, Jewkes, Hoffman S, Dunkle KL, Nduna M and Shai NJ. Adverse Mental Health Outcomes Associated With Emotional Abuse in Young Rural South African Women: A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, DOI:10.1177/0886260511423247, 2011.
20. Jones-Lopez EC, Ayakaka I, Levin J, Reilly N, Mumbowa F, Dryden-Peterson S, Nyakoojo G, Fennelly K, Temple B, Nakubulwa S, Joloba ML, Okwera A, Eisenach KD, McNerney R, Elliot AM, Ellner JJ, Smith PG and Mugerwa RD. Effectiveness of the Standard WHO Recommended Retreatment Regimen (Category II) for Tubercolosis in Kampala, Uganda: A Prospective Cohort Study. PLOS Medicine, 8(3): p 11, 2011
21. Katz, IT, Essien, T, Marinda, ET, Gray, GE, Bangsberg, DR, Martinson, NA and de Bruyn, G. Antiretroviral Refusal among Newly Diagnosed HIV-Infected Adults in Soweto, South Africa. Doi:10.1097/QAD.0b013e32834b6464, 2011.
22. Kiekowski, D, Nelson, G, Bello, B, Kgalamono, S and Phillips, JI. Trends in mesothelioma mortality rates in South Africa: 1995-207. Occupational Environ Med, 68: p. 3, 2011.
23. Kimani-Murage EW, Kahn K, Pettifor JM, Tollman SM, Klipstein-Grobusch K and Norris SA. Predictors of adolescent weight status and central obesity in rural South Africa. Public Health Nutrition, 14(6): p. 1114-1122, 2011.
24. Kimani-Murage EW, Madise NJ, Fotso J, Kyobutungi C, Mutua MK, Gitau TM and Yatich N. Patterns and determinants of breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices in urban informal settlements, Nairobi Kenya. BMC Public Health, 11: p. 396, 2011.
25. Kimani-Murage EW, Norris SA, Pettifor JM, Tollman SM, Klipstein-Grobusch K, Gomez-Olive XF, Dunger DB and Kahn K. Nutritional status and HIV in rural South African children. BMC Pediatrics, 11(23): pp 1471-2431, 2011.
26. Klugman B. Is the Policy Win All? A Framework for Effective Social-Justice Advocacy. The Foundation Review, 2(3): pp. 94-107, 2011.
27. Low N, Chersich MF, Schimidlin K, Egger M, Francis CS, Van de Wijgert JHHM, Hayes RJ, Baeten MJ, Brown J, Delany-Moretlwe S, Kaul R, McGrath N, Morrison C, Myer L, Temmerman M, Van der Straten A, Watson-Jones D, Zwahlen M and Hilber M. Intravaginal Practices, Bacterial Vaginosis, and HIV Infection in Women: Individual Participant Data Meta-analysis. PLOS Medicine, 8(2): p 14, 2011.
28. Luchters S, Geibel S, Syengo M, Lang’o D, King’ola N, Temmerman M and Chersich M. Use of AUDIT, and measures of drinking frequency and pattern to detect associations between alcohol and sexual behaviour in male sex workers in Kenya. BMC Public Health, 11(384): pp. 1471-2458, 2011.
29. Madhavan S and Landau LB. Bridges to Nowhere: Hosts, migrants, and the chimera of social capital in three African cities. Population and Development Review, 37(3): p. 473-497, 2011.
30. Maredza, M Hofman, KJ and Tollman, SM. A Hidden Menace: Cardiovascular disease in South Africa and the costs of an inadequate policy response. SA Heart, 8(1): p. 10, 2011.
31. Marinda ET, Moulton LH, Humphrey JH, Hargrove JW, Ntozini R, Mutasa K and Levin J. In Utero and intra-partum HIV-1 transmission and acute HIV-1 infection during pregnancy: using the BED capture enzyme-immunoassay as a surrogate marker for acute infection. International Journal of Epidemiology, 1(10): p. 10, 2011.
32. Marinda, E. Use of fractional polynomials in medical research. SACEMA Quarterly,: p.3, 2011.
33. Mathee, A. Environment and health in South Africa: Gains, losses, and opportunities. Journal of Public Health Policy, 32(SI): p. 7, 2011.
34. Meyer PWA, Hodkinson B, Ally M, Musenge E, Wadee AA, Fickl H, Tikly M and Anderson R. Circulating Cytokine Profiles and Their Relationships with Autoantibodies, Acute Phase Reactants and Disease Activity in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Mediators of Inflammation, 2010: p. 10, 2010.
35. Mickenautsch S. Minimum Intervention (MI) in Dentistry: Scientific conjecture and clinical truth. Denplan 2011; March: 8-9. Available at www.denplan.co.uk
36. Mickenautsch, S and Yengopal, V. Absence of carious lesions at margins of glass-ionomer cement and amalgam restorations: An update of systematic review evidence. BMC Research Notes, 4(58): p. 15, 2011.
37. Mickenautsch, S and Yengopal, V. Caries-preventive effect of glass ionomer and resin-based fissure sealants on permanent teeth: An update of systematic review evidence. BMC Research Notes, 4(22): p. 18, 2011.
38. Mickenautsch, S, Mount, G and Yengopal, V. Therapeutic effect of glass-ionomers: an overview of evidence. Australian Dental Journal, 56: p. 6, 2011.
39. Munhenga G, Brooke BD, Chirwa TF, Hunt RH, Coetzee M, Govender D and Koekemoer LL. Evaluating the potential of the sterile insect technique for malaria control: Relative Fitness and mating compatibility between laboratory colonized and a wild population o Anopheles arabiensis from the Kruger National Park, South Africa. Parasites & Vectors, 4(208), 2011.
40. Murray J, Davies T and Rees D. Occuptaional lung disease in the South African mining industry: Research and policy implementation. Journal of Public Health Policy 32(SI), p: 65-79, 2011.
41. Nelson, G, Murray, J and Phillips, JI. The Risk of Asbestos Exposure in South African Diamond Mine Workers. Annals of Occupational Hygiene, 55(6): p. 9, 2011.
42. Nemutandani, MS, Yengopal, V and Rudolph, MJ. Teachers’ knowledge of emergency management in traumatized teeth in preschools. South African Dental Journal, 66(1): p. 4, 2011.
43. Nyasulu JY and Nyasulu P. Barriers to the Uptake of Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMTCT) Services in Rural Blantyre and Balaka Districts, Malawi. Journal of Rural and Tropical Public Health, 10(2): pp. 48-52, 2011.
44. Nyasulu JY and Nyasulu P. Decision making for Women to access prevention of mother to Child transmission services in Blantyre and Balaka Districts, Malawi. Journal of Rural and Tropical Public Health, 1: p. 95-100, 2011.
45. Nyasulu, P, Cohen, C, De Gouvela, L, Feldman, C, Klugman, KP and von Gottberg, A. Increased Risk of Death in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-infected Children With Pneumococcal Meningitis in South Africa, 2003-2005. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 30(12): p. 6, 2011.
46. Ogunmefunc, Gilbert L and Schatz E. Older Female caregivers and HIV/AIDS-related stigma in rural South Africa. Journal of Cross Cultural Gerontology, 26: p. 85-102, 2010.
47. Parkes-Ratanshi R, Wakeham K, Levin J, Namusoke D, Whitworth J, Coutinho A, Mugisha NK, Grosskurth H, Kamali A and Lalloo D.G. Primary prophylaxis of crytococcal disease with fluconazole in HIV-positive Ugandan adults: a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. The Lancet, DOI:10.1016/S1473-3099(11)70245-6, 2011.
48. Patton, LL, Ranganathan, K, Naidoo, S, Bhayat, A, Balasundaram, S, Adeyemi, O, Taiwo, O, Speicher, DJ and Chandra, L. Oral Lesions, HIV Phenotypes, and Management of HIV-Related Disease: Workshop 4A. Adv Dent Res, 23(1): p. 5, 2011.
49. Rispel LC, Metcalf CA, Cloete A, Reddy V and Lombard C. HIV Prevalence and Risk practices Among Men Who Have Sex With Men in Two South African Cities. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 57(1): pp. 69-76, 2011.
50. Rispel LC, Metcalf CA, Moody K and Caswell G. Sexual relations and childbearing decision of HIV-discordant couples: an exploratory study in South Africa and Tanzania. Reproductive Health Matters, 19(37): pp. 184-193, 2011.
51. Rispel, LC and Doherty, J Research in support of health systems transformation in South Africa: The experience of the Centre for Health Policy. Journal of Public Health Policy, 32(S1): p. 20, 2011.
52. Rispel, LC and Doherty, J. Research in support of health systems transformation in South Africa: The experience of the Centre for Health Policy. Journal of Public Health Policy, 32(SI), S10-S29, 2011.
53. Sartorius B, Kahn K, Collinson MA, Vounatsou P and Tollman SM. Survived infancy but still vulnerable: spatial-temporal trends and risk factors for child mortality in rural South Africa (Agincourt), 1992-2007. Geospatial Health, 5(2): pp. 1827-1987, 2011.
54. Sartorius K, Sartorius B, Tollman S, Schatz E, Kirsten J and Collinson M. Rural Poverty Dynamics and Refugee Communities in South Africa: A Spatial-Temporal Model. Population, Space and Place, DOI: 10.1002, 2011.
55. Schatz E, Madhavan S and Williams J. Female-headed households contending with AIDS-related hardship in rural South Africa. Health and Place, 17(2): pp. 598–605, 2011.
56. Schatz E, Madhavan S and Williams J. Female-headed households contending with AIDS-related hardship in rural South Africa. Health and Place, DOI 10.1016/jhealthplace.2010.12.017, 2011.
57. Scorgie F, Smit JA, Kunene B, Martin-Hilber A, Beksinska M and Chersich M. Predictors of vaginal practices for sex and hygiene in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: findings of a household survey and qualitative inquiry. Culture, Health & Sexuality, 13(4): pp. 381-398, 2011.
58. Scorgie, F, Chersich, MF, Ntaganira, I, Gerbase, A, Lule, F and Lo, YR. Socio-Demographic Characteristics and Behavioral Risk factors of Female Sex Workers in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Systematic Review. AIDS Behaviour, (doi:10.1007/s10461-011-9985-z) 2011.
59. Sonnenberg, P, Copas, A, Glynn, JR, Bester, A, Nelson, G, Shearer, S and Murray, J. The effect of HIV infection on time off work in a large cohort of gold miners with known dates of seroconversion. Occupational Environmental Medicine, 68: p. 6, 2011.
60. Sprague C, Chersich MF and Black V. Health system weaknesses constrain access to PMTCT and maternal HIV services in South Africa: a qualitative enquiry. Aids Research and Therapy, 8(10): p. 9, 2011.
61. Swanepoel AJ and Rees D. Silica exposure in South African farming. Occupational Health Southern Africa, 17(6): p. 4-11, 2011.
62. Swanepoel, AJ, Kronhout, H, Jinnah, ZA, Portengen, L, Renton, K, Gardiner, K and Rees, D. Respirable Dust and Quartz Exposure from Three South African Farms with Sandy, Sandy Loam, and Clay Soils. Annals of Occupational Hygiene, 55(6): p. 10, 2011.
63. Tambwe, N, Rudolph, M and Greenstein, R. “Instead of Begging, I Farm to Feed my Children”: Urban Agriculture – An Alternative to Copper and Cobalt in Lumbumbashi. Africa, 81(3): p. 22, 2011.
64. Twine W and Hunter LM. Adult mortality and household food security in rural South Africa: does AIDS represent a unique mortality shock. Development Southern Africa, 28(4): p. 431-444, 2011.
65. Umadevi, KR, Blignaut, E, Glick, M, Nasir, E, Yengopal, V, Younai, F and Robinson, PG. Social Aspects of HIV and Their Relationship to Craniofacial Problems: Workshop 4C. Adv Dent Res, 23(1): p. 5, 2011.
66. Veldhuijzen NJ, Ingabire C, Luchters S, Bosire W, Braunstein S, Chersich M and van de Wijgert J. Anal intercourse among female sex workers in East Africa is associated with other high-risk behaviours for HIV. Sexual Health, 8(2): pp. 251-254, 2011.
67. Venketash KK, De Bruyn G, Marinda E, Otwombe K, Van Niekerk R, Urban M, Triche E, McGarvey ST, Lurie MN and Gray GE. Morbidity and Mortality among Infants Born to HIV-Infected Women in South Africa: Implications for Child Health Resource-Limited Settings. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, 57(2): pp. 109-119, 2011.
68. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal, 66 (1): p. 36-39, 2011.
69. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal, 66 (2): p.90-93, 2011
70. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal, 66 (3): p. 142-145, 2011.
71. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal, 66 (4): p. 194-197, 2011.
72. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal, 66 (5): p. 245-248, 2011.
73. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal, 66 (6): p. 294-297, 2011.
74. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal, 66 (7): p. 248-352, 2011.
75. Yengopal V. Evidence-based dentistry in clinical practice. South African Dental Journal, 66 (8): p. 396-399, 2011.
76. Yengopal, V and Mickenautsch, S. Caries-preventive effect of resin-modified glass-ionomer cement (RM-GIC) versus composite resin: a quantitative systematic review. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, 12(1): p. 10, 2011.
77. Yengopal, V, Bhayat, A and Coogan, M. Pediatric Oral HIV Research in the Developing World. Adv Dent Res, 23(1): p. 6, 2011.
78. Yengopal, V. A Comparative evaluation of 3 root canal filing systems. South African Dental Journal, 66(3): p. 4, 2011.
79. Yengopal, V. Can drawing be considered a projective measure for children’s distress in paediatric dentistry? South African Dental Journal, 66(4): p. 4, 2011.
80. Yengopal, V. Clinical evaluation of three toothbrush models tested by schoolchildren. South African Dental Journal, 66(5): p. 4, 2011.
81. Yengopal, V. Comparison of 2 retraction techniques for maxillary anchorage: A RCT. South African Dental Journal, 66(1): p. 4, 2011.
82. Yengopal, V. The impact of non-surgical periodontal therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes: effect on periodontal status and glycaemic control. South African Dental Journal, 66(2): p. 4, 2011.
83. Yengopal, V. The pulpal anaeshetic efficacy of articaine versus lidocaine in dentistry: a meta-analysis. South African Dental Journal, 66(6): p. 4, 2011.
1. Doherty J. "Towards A People's Hospital" Lessons from the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital Transformation Project, 2011.
2. Doherty, J. “Alternative models for rural training of health professionals: A literature review, April 2011.
3. Doherty, J. Expansion of the private health sector in east and southern Africa. EQUINET discussion paper 87, 2011.
4. Remes P, Michielsen K, Van Vossole A, De Koker P, Van Braeckel D, Chersich M. The Sexual and Reproductive Health and HIV Status, Drivers and Related Response among Out-of-School Young People in east and southern Africa, 2010.
1. Kimani-Murage, EW. Child Obesity, in: International Encyclopaedia of Rehabilitation, J.H. Stone and M. Blouin, Editors. Available online: http://cirrie.buffalo.edu/encyclopedia/en/article/301/. 2011.
2. Rispel LC, Ncayiyana DJ. Introduction, in: Africa in Focus: Governance in the 21st Century, K. Kondlo and C. Ejiogu, Editors. Human Sciences Research Council. p. 235-239. 2011.
3. Rispel, L.C. and T.N. Kibua, Whither the MDGs? Stewardship for health in Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa, in: Africa in Focus: Governance in the 21st Century, K. Kondlo and C. Ejiogu, Editors. Human Sciences Research Council. p. 240-258, 2011.