Founded in 1985 by the Centre for Applied Legal Studies (CALS) and housed at the School of Law, University of Witwatersand, Johannesburg, the SAJHR is the leading South African public law journal, publishing scholarship of the highest standard for a worldwide readership. The journal is published by CALS and Juta & Co, Cape Town. The Journal appears three times a year.
One of the oldest public law journals in South Africa, the SAJHR was ranked as the most widely cited South African law journal in Washington and Lee University's study of most-cited legal periodicals.
The journal is dedicated to the advancement of scholarship on human rights and justice-related law in South Africa. While this remains the primary focus of the Journal, the editors accept submissions dealing with the enforcement of human rights in other African countries where direct relevance to South Africa is demonstrated.
Thematically, the editors accept submissions that deal with human rights, legal philosophy, law and society, constitutional law, administrative law and public international law. Submissions taking an interdisciplinary or empirical approach to these subjects are also considered
The editorial offices of the Journal are located at the following address:
South African Journal on Human Rights
Centre for Applied Legal Studies
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Fax: 27 (0) 11 403 2341
For general queries, please contact EIC (Jackie@seri-sa.org) or Di Stuart (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Once your article has been assigned to an editor, please liaise with your article editor or EIC.
Guide to contributors
All contributions must be submitted via Scholar One. Scholar One is an electronic management system used by the Journal in its handling of all submissions.
Correspondence regarding submissions should be directed to the above email address/es or to the specific Article Editor, where this has been assigned. Any queries from publishers related to books for review, should be directed to Muriel.Mushariwa@wits.ac.za.
Submissions are evaluated by the editors for conformity to the editorial policy and are peer reviewed anonymously before publication.
The SAJHR is indexed by ISAP (Index to South African Periodicals) and IBSS (International Bibliography of the Social Sciences). It is accredited by the South African Department of Education for subsidy purposes.
Submissions to the SAJHR should comply with the following requirements:
- The submission must be in English, must be an original, unpublished work and should not simultaneously be submitted for publication elsewhere.
- An Article is an original, substantial contribution that engages thoroughly with scholarship and case law on a particular topic. Articles should not, in general, exceed 12 000 words (including footnotes). Article submissions must be accompanied by a paragraph-length abstract.
- The journal also publishes Case Notes and Current Developments. A Case Note is a thorough examination of a particular judgment or series of judgments, while a Current Development is an analysis of the status quo pertaining to a particular topic. Case Notes and Current Developments are typically 4 000 to 6 000 words.
- Contributors must comply with the Journal’s house style. Cases, statutes, literature and other sources should be cited accurately, in the correct format and checked by the author.
- The Journal does not accept unsolicited book reviews.
- Authors of accepted manuscripts may be interested in the Journal’s SSRN policy.
The Journal has moved over to the electronic management system of Scholar One and the editors are no longer able to accept emailed submissions. Authors should therefore submit their work via Scholar One, and this system will govern the entire submissions process until a submission is accepted for publication.
The Journal has an Editorial Board and an Editorial Committee.
The Editorial Committee is composed of the editors who manage the day-to-day business of the Journal. As of July 2011, the SAJHR editors are:
Prof. Cathi Albertyn
Tel: 27 11 717 8467
Prof. Lilian Chenwi
Tel: 27 11 717 8465
Dr Jackie Dugard (Current Editor-in-Chief)
Tel: 27 11 356 5866
Tel: 27 11 717 8476
Dr. Jeff Handmaker
Ms. Raylene Keightley
Tel: 27 11 291 8600
Ms. Kirsty McLean
Tel: 27 11 263 9000
Prof. Bonita Meyersfeld (Chair of the Editorial Board)
Tel: 27 11 717 8622
Ms. Muriel Mushariwa (Book review editor)
Tel: 27 11 717 8444
Mr. Sanele Sibanda
Tel: 27 11 717 8485
The Journal benefits from the administrative assistance of Di Stuart: email@example.com.
2013 subscription rates, subscription enquiries and orders and requests for back issues should be directed to the following address:
Juta & Co Ltd
PO Box 14373
1st Floor, Sunclare Building
21 Dreyer Street, Claremont
Cape Town, South Africa
Telephone: 27 21 659 2300
Fax: 27 21 659 2360
Exclusive distributors in North America
3011 Gulf Drive,