B Proc LLB BA Hons (Psyc) PhD
James lectures and specialises in criminal law. He completed his psychology honours on the moral reasoning of Moses Sithole, South Africa's most notorious serial killer, and continues this research presently. His PhD is entitled The Responsible Mind in South African Criminal Law and concerns an investigation of the foundation for the insanity plea and conditions for criminal responsibility more generally - in criminal law known as the requirement of voluntariness and criminal capacity. He has lectured criminology, the law of delict, criminal procedure, and currently lectures criminal law and parts of the law of evidence course. He has published in the areas of psychological development, the law of delict, and criminal law, and has addressed international conferences on the compatibility of determinism, neuroscience and criminal responsibility, and the effect of emotion on moral reasoning and criminal responsibility.
Tel: 27 (11) 717-8486
- Publications in Peer-reviewed/DOE Accredited Journals
- Portion of Chapter Law of Delict in Annual Survey of South African Law for 2000.
- Co-authored Chapter Law of Delict in Annual Survey of South African Law for 2001.
- Book notice of "Applied Law for Police Officials"
- Co-authored Chapter Law of Delict in Annual Survey of South African Law 2002
- Book notice of "Snyman's Criminal Law Case Book" in SALJ (accepted Jan 19 2004)
- Co-authored Chapter Law of Delict in Annual Survey of South African Law for 2003;
- Case note 'Minister of Safety and Security v Ntamo and Others 2003 (1) SA 547 SCA: Was Justice Done?', Obiter June 2004.
- Article 'The Permissive Similarity of Legal Causation by Adequate Cause and Nova Causa Interveniens', SALJ, vol 122, part 4, 2005.
- Article: 'Determinism, Neuroscience, and Responsibility' Special Edition of International Journal of Law in Context, accepted for publication Sept 2006.
- Chapter Criminal Law in Annual Survey of South African Law for 2005.
- Article: 'The Double Life of Unlawfulness: Fact and Law'. Accepted March 2007 for publication in SACJ 2007 1st issue.
- Chapter Criminal Law in Annual Survey of South African Law for 2006 - accepted Jan 2008.
- David Zeffertt, Andrew Paizes, and James Grant, Complaints in Sexual Offences - accepted for publication, to appear in v 4 2008, SALJ.
- Defences under the Protection of State Information Bill: Unlawfulness and the demands of certainty, SAJHR 2012, forthcoming
Books and/Chapters in Books
- Published Chapter Kohlberg's Theory of Moral Reasoning in Developmental Psychology, Edited by Hook D, Watts J, and Cockroft K, 2002. (Peer Reviewed).
- Updated Chapter Kohlberg's Theory of Moral Reasoning in Developmental Psychology , 2 ed, Edited by Watts J, and Cockroft K, - accepted for publication 2008.