Founded in 1985 by the Centre for Applied Legal Studies (CALS) and housed at the School of Law, University of Witwatersand, Johannesburg, the SAJHR is the leading South African public law journal, publishing scholarship of the highest standard for a worldwide readership. The journal is published by CALS and Juta & Co, Cape Town. The Journal appears three times a year.
One of the oldest public law journals in South Africa, the SAJHR was ranked as the most widely cited South African law journal in Washington and Lee University's study of most-cited legal periodicals.
The journal is dedicated to the advancement of scholarship on human rights, justice and public law in South Africa and the region. The editors welcome submissions of relevance to Southern Africa and dealing with human rights, legal philosophy, constitutional and administrative law, access to information, law and development and public international law. Submissions taking an interdisciplinary and/or empirical approach to these subjects are also encouraged.
The editorial offices of the Journal are located at the following address:
South African Journal on Human Rights
Centre for Applied Legal Studies
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Guide to contributors
Correspondence, books for review and all other communications should be directed to the above address. Contributions must be submitted via Scholar One. Scholar One is an electronic management system used by the Journal in its handling of all submissions.
Submissions are evaluated by the editors for conformity to the editorial policy and are peer reviewed anonymously before publication.
The SAJHR is indexed by ISAP (Index to South African Periodicals) and IBSS (International Bibliography of the Social Sciences). It is accredited by the South African Department of Education for subsidy purposes.
Submissions to the SAJHR should comply with the following requirements:
- The submission must be in English, must be an original, unpublished work and should not simultaneously be submitted for publication elsewhere.
- Article submissions should not, in general, exceed 12 000 words (including footnotes). Article submissions must be accompanied by a paragraph-length abstract.
- Case notes and comments will be considered for the Cases and Comments section or for the Current Developments section of the Journal. Case notes and current development commentaries are typically fewer than 4000 words, including footnotes.
- Contributors are asked to refer to the Journal’s house style. Cases, statutes, literature and other sources should be cited accurately, in the correct format and checked by the author.
- The Journal does not accept unsolicited book reviews.
- For the Journal’s policy on SSRN, please email SAJHR@law.wits.ac.za.
The Journal is moving over to the electronic management system of Scholar One. Authors are requested to submit their work via Scholar One. Until August 2011, manuscripts should also be submitted by email in the form of a file attachment in any version of WordPerfect or Word or any ASCII-based word-processing program to the following address: email@example.com.
The Journal has an Editorial Board and an Editorial Committee.
The Editorial Committee is composed of the editors who manage the day-to-day business of the Journal. As of July 2011, the SAJHR editors are:
Tel: 27 11 717 8467
Tel: 27 11 717 8465
Tel: 27 11 356 5861
Raylene Keightley (Chair of the Editorial Board)
Tel: 27 11 717 8622
Tel: 27 11 263 9000
Bonita Meyersfeld (Current Managing Editor)
Tel: 27 11 717 8462
Muriel Mushariwa (Book review editor)
Tel: 27 11 717 8444
Tel: 27 11 717 8485
The Journal benefits from the administrative assistance of Di Stuart: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2009 subscription rates, subscription enquiries and orders and requests for back issues should be directed to the following address:
Juta & Co Ltd
PO Box 14373
1st Floor, Sunclare Building
21 Dreyer Street, Claremont
Cape Town, South Africa
Telephone: 27 21 659 2300 Fax: 27 21 659 2360 E-mail: email@example.com
Exclusive distributors in North America
Gaunt Inc, Gaunt Building, 3011 Gulf Drive, Holmes Beach, Florida 34217-2199 USA