The University of the Witwatersrand and LEAD Global invite Grade 10 learner?s to participate in an exciting Leadership, Education and Development programme.
For more than 27 years, the Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) programme has provided business education to more than 7,500 academically talented high school youth of color. LEAD was founded in 1980 when the landscape in American business revealed a need for youth programmes to begin focusing on business as a career, due to the lack of diverse management in the corporate sector.
LEAD?s broader vision is to expose American high school students of color to their peers in different countries and to various career opportunities throughout the world. LEAD believes that the depth of true international career development experience goes far beyond a two week sightseeing excursion.
The ability to interact with international student peer groups within a team based work environment will serve as the foundation for learning. The curriculum will be rooted in real world international career development case studies . The goal is for student teams to gain practical experience in understanding the benefits of choosing a career that is international in scope.
LEAD has chosen South Africa as the launch site for LEAD Global. LEAD has identified University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and the University of Cape Town to host the programme as they are well respected for their teaching expertise in the fields of engineering, science, business, law/government and the arts.
The goal is to immerse students early in their academic development to a myriad of career opportunities, so that they might make better informed decisions when choosing a university or career profession.
- The proposed action is to broaden student?s exposure to career options in science, engineering and business. Those students chosen to participate in the programme will be required to choose between science, engineering and business.
- LEAD Global?s vision is to provide exposure to various Career Opportunities available globally for Academically High Achieving Students of Diverse Ethnicity
- The objective is to develop an International Career Development Immersion Programme between various countries and in collaboration with students from USA using LEAD?s Triad Model
- Lead will serve as the exclusive Career Preparatory Agent for the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy (OWLA)
- Programmes will launch in South Africa in 2009 (20 June - 4 July 2009)
- Diverse talented learners from the USA will be invited to attend programmes alongside South African students and OWLA learners
What LEAD learners have to say...
The most important lesson which I learned in this programme is that in life, you are going to be faced with difficult tasks, and you are going to have to face them with people who view things differently to you. It is important to forget one s personal agendas and focus on the task at hand
The amount of knowledge that we acquire means nothing without love, support and using the knowledge which you have to help others in need; This programme helped me to see that our lives are only complete if and when we have experienced that which makes the heart smile and tames the longing for Greatness.