Wits is strategically located in Johannesburg, a world class city, with countless opportunities for students and staff to engage with and present solutions that will contribute to our country's knowledge-base and build our future. With its more than 130 000 graduates in its 91-year history, Wits has made and will continue to make its mark nationally and internationally. Wits is positioned 24th by the Times Higher Education Rankings among the world top 100 universities from which Fortune 500 CEO's graduated.
Wits University is a centre for higher education and research of the highest quality. Its long history and reputation has been built on promoting the freedom of enquiry and the search for knowledge and truth. It continues to enhance its position as a leading research intensive university in South Africa, Africa and the world.
Wits, one of Africa’s premier research universities strives to be innovative, where boundaries of knowledge are pushed and where the focus is on sustaining globally competitive standards of excellence in learning, teaching and research.
Wits runs a number of programmes aimed at identifying young people from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds but who have strong academic potential. The goal is to increase their academic, social and psychological preparation for admission to and success at Wits or other South African universities.
Publishers of well-researched innovative books for both academic and general readers. Areas of focus include art and heritage, popular science, history and politics, biography, literary studies, women's writing and select textbooks.
The University is led by the Vice-Chancellor and Principal supported by a Senior Executive Team comprising four Deputy Vice-Chancellors, the Registrar and the Deans of our five Faculties.
Wits is located in Johannesburg, the social & economic hub of South Africa.
The origins of Wits lie in the South African School of Mines, which was established in Kimberley in 1896 and transferred to Johannesburg as the Transvaal Technical Institute in 1904, becoming the Transvaal University College in 1906 and renamed the South African School of Mines and Technology four years later.
Full university status was granted in 1922, incorporating the College as the University of the Witwatersrand. Read More.